What's new

clyinder keeping the piston inside

dtraybo

clyinder keeping the piston inside

Couldn't find this one in several searches.
I've made a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower a press. The press is constrained to the cylinder and the cylinder to the press frame. Things work reasonably well, I move one part and the cylinder shaft piston and all the pieces move as they should. Except there are no stops, the piston will go right through either end of the cylinder. I havent been able to figure out how to model the cylinder so the piston can't over travel and go out the ends.
Any ideas how to do this?

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Of course, if you are using Motion, you can drive the mech. with an oscillating linear actuator.

Re:

MilesH said:
We're all looking forward to distance/angle - range/limit constraints...

Anyway, here was a solution in the context of a slot;
http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2807

Either that, or integration of the Assembly Engineering Manager (AEM) from D-cubed, now owned by UGS I think. It detects part collisions in real time, and can be set to stop the motion when a collision occurs.

It's not perfect, but I usually add constraints, and name the constraint using the values to represent the extreme ranges of motion. For example, "1.553 extended, .43 retracted". Or in the case of a piston, "1.48 TDC, -3.22 BDC". Then you can just change the constraint value to observe the assembly configuration.