What's new

Coil Spring

Old Geeser

If you model a coil spring, will it behave like a spring in an assembly in design? Compressing and returning to normal state after pressure is released?
Thanks
Karl

Cator

you could create two distinct parts or a part with two configurations: open and closed; then insert it into an assembly with two configurations that use one situation once or another...
Regards,
Francesco

Old Geeser

Thanks Francesco, but I really wanted to make an animated model of an engine with opening and closing valves as I turned the flywheel.

BigKahunaFL

In the past, using Solidworks, I animated a spring by creating two halves for each coil. Each half was constrained using "face-to-face, and "concentric" constraints. The ends of the spring were constrained (using tangents) to opposing surfaces. When the surfaces moved, the spring would extend/contract as needed. The opposing surfaces were constrained with "limits", thus limiting spring movement. Obviously, the action of the spring is NOT MECANICALLY / PHYSICALLY accurate, but visually satisfactory.

Hope this helps…

SergioP.

I have modeled in Solidedge and Solidworks deformable springs. The trick is define the coil with a constant number of turns, and relate the total height to the available space in the assembly, so when this space change, the height f the spring is updated but keeping the same number of turns. Don´t know if Alibre has the possiblity of define "deformable" parts.

Attachments

• (Solidedge) deformable spring animation.gif
    (Solidedge) deformable spring animation.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Here you go. I did this for testing Alibre Motion, years ago, but I've adapted it for use as an Assembly animation.

Spring for animations in assemblies.jpg

Attachments

• Spring for animations in assemblies.AD_PKG
    372 KB · Views: 15

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Here you go. I did this for testing Alibre Motion, years ago, but I've adapted it for use as an Assembly animation.
Great! Did you try to use a single Helical boss feature? Like SergioP I've made them in SolidWorks and related designs but not in Alibre.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Making configurations to represent the different states is a good option but is not triggered by the motion tools. You can combine these techniques with the API to make a better animation/simulation like effect.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Great! Did you try to use a single Helical boss feature? Like SergioP I've made them in SolidWorks and related designs but not in Alibre.
No, that's not possible in Alibre AFAIK. This an assembly of 1/4 turn coil segments. Closer to what BigKahunaFL mentions above.

BigKahunaFL

No, that's not possible in Alibre AFAIK. This an assembly of 1/4 turn coil segments. Closer to what BigKahunaFL mentions above.
Right! I used 1/2-turn segments; the more segments, the more "realistic" it will appear, BUT, it will use much more memory.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I understand. I think It's possible with code + configurations. I generated the helix from points into 3D sketches. I then made configurations representing different number of turns and heights. This is not unique to Alibre, I used a similar technique in SolidWorks. The trick is to trigger the configuration to change when motion is detected, by key shortcut or button click. That's where code comes in.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
I used this model in Alibre Motion, with a revolute spring and damper between each segment of the coil. It worked really well. I wish I could find the video.