What's new

Color color...

VoltsAndBolts

I vaguely remember a design software that had that color scheme. I think it was I-deas. The normals of the planes (+ or -) were color coded and each primary plane had a different color.

I think Pro Engineer did that, and I know the color shifts in SW depinding on which side of the plane you look at.

Toybuilder

Not the best solution, as I'd rather it was native in Alibre, but I've manipulated colors on model faces in order to create more realistic representations of electronic components when using a single part (vs assemby) to represent everything in the part.

My solution was to use FreeCAD -- it's a free open-source tool -- to import the STEP model, "paint" the faces by changing face colors as needed, and then export back out to STEP.

FreeCAD Face Edit.jpg

The end-result is a single-part with colors the way I want them.
IC Device.jpg

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Not the best solution, as I'd rather it was native in Alibre, but I've manipulated colors on model faces in order to create more realistic representations of electronic components when using a single part (vs assemby) to represent everything in the part.
I've created an in-house electronics library in Alibre using assemblies, so that when I export to Keyshot I can assign different materials to each part. It's been a slow process, but one that I've built up over the years. Gives some great results though ...

upload_2018-3-24_9-25-45.png

ftkalcevic

I can see no reason whatever, and have NEVER had a need to color "by feature". To me it is nearly worthless (maybe someday I will need it?).

Color by face I have needed repeatedly. But it is not a feature of Alibre (it is for some other CAD packages).

I use feature colours all the time when I create a 3rd party part and want a little bit of cosmetic bling, without creating a whole assembly. Eg Electronics parts test fit on a board.

trim.png

Of course, I use colour by feature as a work around because there is no colour by face.

Doh! I didn't see this was a multi-page thread. There's already a similar reply.

Attachments

• 25 turn trim pot.AD_PRT
    889.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: MKR