What's new

Comparable commands in Solidworks

GDBranch

I'm working alongside an engineer who is using SolidWorks 2012 while I am using AD Expert 2012.
I'm able to do things with AD that he can not find a way to do in Solidworks. I'm hoping that
one of you may have experience with SW and could help me out.
1. AD allows me to "PROJECT TO SKETCH" a surface from an existing part in to a nex/existing part sketch.
What would the command be in SW to project?
2. AD has a great interface when I want to create a 3D PDF. As you know, AD allows you to choose views as well as exploded views with animation.
He spoke to SW tech support and they said they used to have a piece of software that could do the equivalent but it's no longer available. He
can create standard 3D PDF's by using PDF forge as a printer but there is no way to do exploded like we can.
Any thoughts on how to (for lack of a better word)" upgrade" SW to Alibre's level?

There are a few other areas we've found SW wanting for our particular needs but these two are the most critical. Presently I have to fill in for him
in these areas and it's a lot of extra work I'd like to avoid.

Thanks,
Gary

bigseb

Alibre Super User
To your first question: I think you can do it with the 'convert entities' command in the sketch ribbon. Not 100% sure but give it a go...

rjensen2

Gary,

Any thoughts on how to (for lack of a better word)" upgrade" SW to Alibre's level?

There are a few other areas we've found SW wanting for our particular needs but these two are the most critical. Presently I have to fill in for him
in these areas and it's a lot of extra work I'd like to avoid.

Based on your comments, to upgrade SW to Alibre's level and to avoid extra work, it would seem the easiest and all around least expensive route would be to buy another license for Alibre Expert 2012. At least that is what I would do.

Rob

wfpelletier

SolidWorks can save to the 3D PDF format. If have a SolidWorks file open, simply go to 'Save As' and select 'Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)'. When you make that selection, there will be a check-box that reads 'Save as 3D PDF'. This is shown here: http://www.solidworks-apac.com/2009/06/11/how-to-make-a-3d-pdf-out-of-solidworks/.

As far as 'Project to Sketch', bigseb is correct about the 'Convert Entitites' command on the SolidWorks sketch ribbon.

GDBranch

Thank you for your responses and sorry it took me so long to respond back to you all.

The problem with "convert entities" is that it's on an idividual entity basis. If you need 20 entities you will have to repeat the command 20 times.
Alibre lets you project an entire face with one command. For the work we do SolidWorks is cumbersome.

We found the ability to create a 3D PDF but SolidWorks does not have the capability of creating an exploded view PDF that the viewer can control.
What we design and build are all one of a kind assemblies. Alibre's ability to create exploding 3D PDF's means the people in the shop
and in final assembly can understand exactly how the final assembly works without a lot of fuss. We don't need a ream of 2D drawings that explains
how it all works.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
GDBranch said:
...The problem with "convert entities" is that it's on an idividual entity basis. If you need 20 entities you will have to repeat the command 20 times.
Alibre lets you project an entire face with one command. For the work we do SolidWorks is cumbersome. ....

You can select a Face in SW then execute Convert Entities and it will convert all the external edges of the face into the new sketch. For internal loops, like cuts on the face, select the face and one edge of the cut and it will convert the loop around the cut. If you also select one entity at a time to convert, or, Shift/select as many entities, like hole edges, as you need then convert.