What's new

Complex shape recommendations

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Hello all. I have this 3d printed part that I've been working on as shown attached. This was print #4 and while I am satisfied with it, I would like to have it fit the bezel better.

I do not have a 3d scan.
I'm using v27. Have a decade of Alibre experience but am struggling with how to get the shape to fit the bezel better. This is a very different type of job than I'm accustomed to. Aside from throwing some random planes in like guesswork to work from, is there a better way to attack this?

Example, I'd like the bottom of the part to extend down farther to the bezel. It's at an odd angle though. I've tried extending the tapered faces down, projecting, etc but it just hasn't gone well.
Thanks!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705074055974.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705074055974.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 48

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
There are many ways to do it.
One way:
Since you have a 3d printer you might make a plate (maybe quarter inch thick) with a grid of holes (of whatever resolution you want) to sit over the top and poke a stiff wire straight through at each grid hole. Mark the depth the wire could be inserted then measure it. Record the grid position and (the depth - the grid thickness). Then insert these points into Alibre and design to fit inside them.