What's new

Computer for Alibre - some thoughts / questions

OrjanB

I consider purchasing a new computer for CAD /Alibre.
As far as I understand the code in Alibre is not designed for utilizing lot of threads/cores.
Higher speed in Alibre is obtained by using processor with higher clock-frequency.
Does this mean that, for Alibre, a workstation equipped with Xeon processor is no better than a standard computer with i7 or i9 processor?

I have noticed that Alibre (in my opinion) need much time for regenerating the part/assembly, and since regenerating is often done this slows down the workflow.

When coming to KeyShot I understand that a good graphic-card is the most important factor.

The above taken into consideration:
Could it be that a good gaming-PC is the best solution for Alibre?

Are there any plans at Alibre to make code that more efficiently take benefit of workstations ment for Inventor/SW ?

/Orjan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Alibre doesn't use multiple threads for processing but a faster chip will help.
When coming to KeyShot I understand that a good graphic-card is the most important factor.

I'm not sure about the latest version of KeyShot for Alibre but the standard Pro version will use a NVIDIA graphics card IF available. Otherwise KS will use all the cores of the CPU. You can read up on it here.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I'm not sure about the latest version of KeyShot for Alibre but the standard Pro version will use a NVIDIA graphics card
All versions of Keyshot use the GPU, but it needs to be an Nvidia RTX to get the new real time raytracing.

The best things in a graphics intensive machine are a fast processor, fast GPU (with plenty of onboard RAM) and as much RAM as you can throw at it (to minimise disk access/eliminate swapfile usage). I always look at cost breakdowns when I build performance PCs ... Processor 25%, Graphics card 25% and everything else (PSU, case, motherboard, RAM, HDD/SSD) 50%.

My signature shows my machines, the desktop was built 9 years ago (graphics card updated 4 years ago) and is still good for most of todays applications. The laptop is one of the best mobile platforms for CAD and leverages keyshots new rayracing. The laptop spec would be my starting point when I'm ready to replace my desktop (but with a much better processor ... obviously limited in a laptop by heat disapation and power consumption, etc).

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
... Higher speed in Alibre is obtained by using processor with higher clock-frequency.
Does this mean that, for Alibre, a workstation equipped with Xeon processor is no better than a standard computer with i7 or i9 processor?

I think its a case of diminishing returns. The super high speed cpus look great on paper but I find they don't necessarily edge out lesser chips in real life. This is only CAD after all. I went with an AMD Ryzen 2700X. This 8 core/16 threads running at 3.7ghz. Not as impressive as a top of the line i7 or i9 but again, this is only CAD. Had absolutely zero issues loading anything (Alibre or otherwise) and it comes at a considerably lower cost. And it kills it at rendering in Keyshot too.

I've always thought that Keyshot utilized the cpu. Maybe I'm wrong.

Could it be that a good gaming-PC is the best solution for Alibre?

Not trying to be funny here but I think its the other way around i.e. Alibre is the best solution for a gaming PC. Ultimately if you use other CAD software too and CAD is your priority then gaming abilities might suffer.

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I'm not sure about the latest version of KeyShot for Alibre but the standard Pro version will use a NVIDIA graphics card IF available. Otherwise KS will use all the cores of the CPU. You can read up on it here.

All versions of Keyshot use the GPU, but it needs to be an Nvidia RTX to get the new real time raytracing.

Whenever I render it just shows all 16 cores maxed out. Not sure if the GPU is used at all. How could I check?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Whenever I render it just shows all 16 cores maxed out. Not sure if the GPU is used at all. How could I check?
When I say 'all' versions, I mean KeyShot for CAD through to Pro (not that they always use GPU!). KeyShot will use the GPU, if you explicitly enable it ...

upload_2020-7-23_9-58-18.png

... and the fast ray tracing is only available with RTX cards.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
When I say 'all' versions, I mean KeyShot for CAD through to Pro (not that they always use GPU!). KeyShot will use the GPU, if you explicitly enable it ...

View attachment 31265

... and the fast ray tracing is only available with RTX cards.
Mine doesn't have that. But then I use Keyshot for AD, is that limited? I have an RTX 2070 so...

Capture.JPG

simonb65

Alibre Super User
RTX support is a version 9.x thing. There is a good benchmark tool in the latest free KeyShort viewer ...

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Sebastian, is that the Alibre download site for Keyshot?

As you already have KS8 for Alibre installed, you can upgrade using installer downloaded direct from Keyshot - you might want to try that if you suspect the issue might be either at our end, or somewhere across the net... Obviously doesn't help if the issue is at your ISP.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Sebastian, is that the Alibre download site for Keyshot?

As you already have KS8 for Alibre installed, you can upgrade using installer downloaded direct from Keyshot - you might want to try that if you suspect the issue might be either at our end, or somewhere across the net... Obviously doesn't help if the issue is at your ISP.
Its from the Alibre site. I tried the upgrade from Keyshot itself, went super fast but only downloaded 8.2.XX. I suspect this is Talktalk though, they're pretty rubbish.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Upgrade from within the product only looks within the major version. You would need the full KS9 installer from their site. It can be installed alongside KS8 and will 'see' the Alibre 'tweaks' that point to your Alibre Design for the activation.

I did mine that way before Alibre made the KS9 installer available.

https://www.keyshot.com/resources/downloads/

Last edited:

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
As an FOI Simon, do you notice a speed difference between your laptop and your desktop? If so, how noticeable?
-Jimpulse

Simon Said:
My signature shows my machines, the desktop was built 9 years ago (graphics card updated 4 years ago) and is still good for most of todays applications. The laptop is one of the best mobile platforms for CAD and leverages keyshots new rayracing. The laptop spec would be my starting point when I'm ready to replace my desktop (but with a much better processor ... obviously limited in a laptop by heat disapation and power consumption, etc).

Last edited: Today at 2:53 AM
Kind Regards,
Simon
Altointegra Ltd

Win10 Pro (64 bit), Desktop, i5-2500K @ 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti
Win10 Pro (64 bit), HP ZBook 17" G6, i7-9850H @ 2.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 6GB NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000
Alibre Design Expert v21.0.2 [Build 21034]
KeyShot 9.3 CAD HD [9.3.14]

simonb65

Alibre Super User
As an FOI Simon, do you notice a speed difference between your laptop and your desktop? If so, how noticeable?
-Jimpulse
Can honestly say that I've never really compared them (or noticed) as they both perform well. I don't have any issues on one one that isn't there on the other, switching between them is 'normal' and seamless (my day-to-day work is on the desktop), which I guess is testament to the laptops mobile performance. I've just downloaded the KeyShot benchmark so I was going to try that on both to see the difference in GPU performance (RTX 3000 vs GTX 1050 ti). I've also written a few Alibre API applications, so I'll try those on both too. The laptop has SSD and more RAM, desktop has HDD's, so boot and file access/load times of applications is much faster. I'll do some back to back comparison on Alibre/KeyShot usability and let you know (if I remember!).

EDIT: Installed Keyshot Viewer on my desktop. Set it running the benchmark (CPU + GPU). Whilst that was running, I then booted my laptop, installed Keyshot Viewer and ran the benchmark ... The laptop overtook the desktop at the rendering using CPU 18% mark! That included boot and install. Still waiting for them both to complete all tests, but the laptop reached 100% complete CPU (desktop still on 54%).

Laptop CPU = 12 threads, Desktop CPU = 4 threads.

EDIT2 : Laptop completed both CPU and GPU benchmark, Desktop still on CPU 72%. WOW! really need to sort my desktop out! :D

Last edited: