What's new

Configuration Conventions

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
Configuration Conventions

What conventions are you using when working with Configurations?

I normally keep a word processing document open while working with configurations in order to document important considerations for my model, and the complications of the various configurations. Other than that, I have been adopting certain conventions to aid in working with configurations.

Capitalized Parameter names to indicate what Parameters are the driving parameter for the model and safe to modify no matter what the state of the configuration locks. I generally leave all locks off when done as that allows Xpress users, and clients using Xpress as a viewer, to modify important values of parameter to change the dimensions of the model to suit their requirements. When all locks are off, Xpress users can change parameters that will modify any and all configurations.

I have started adding an * to the first position in the comment to indicate that the parameter changes with configurations, and as a warning not to modify that parameter unless the configurations are locked. Maybe I should add a note in parens, but for now I know to refer to my notes. Maybe a + sign for lock only specific locks, or even +#,#,# to indicate what locks should be locked for changes (1 would be top lock and so on down the dialog box).

What conventions do you use, or would propose when working with configurations?

swertel

Alibre Super User

That's actually a very interesting concept. Personally, I never delved into any that complex for working with configs. My basic philosophy of entering variable names and naming features has held out well.

A question back for you, Woods, is how do you document your standard procedures so everyone else knows and follows your code? It seems like quite the paperwork and training nightmare.

The reason I have never worried about adding modifiers to names is because my design intent often changes with a change to a model. As far as configs, those are usually created while I'm creating this initial model. In other words, I know what variables do what. But, past that, all bets are off.

If I were to institute a procedure like yours, I would look downline. For example, ANSYS Mechancial Desktop uses a prefix in front of variables when doing studies. I would use the same prefix in Alibre to aid the transition. Likewise if I had a CAM or other CAE program. I'd always look to my downline processes in order to make them easier.

--Scott

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

I try to develop and document conventions for my own use to make the entire process from design to BOM consistent and reliable. While I do not expect others to follow my conventions, I do find it worthwhile to kick around concepts with others. We all tend to follow our own conventions, I would just like to document them to help refine their development. When working with others though, it does help to attempt some consistency and coordination.

There are always exceptions. but it helps to have a well thought out methodology that is refined with experience and each problem that surfaces.

I am commonly developing models with over 20 configurations, which can become a real mess to maintain and modify, hence the need to try and develop some sort of conventions. Also, while developing multi-configuration models for others, I need to consider how to make them easy to use, and make it easy to modify when they are templates.

This forum is a fantastic place to share ideas, and I have found so many good concepts posted here that I have incorporated into my techniques. There seems a lot of interest in configurations, and I hope the dialogs in this forum help advance their use, and let others learn from our experience. Below is a little more of what I am doing with configurations:

I am currently experimenting naming the first configuration as "template", and reserving it for testing and development. Adding other configurations as the working configurations.

I am creating multi-part part files where the rail(horizontals), stile(verticals), and panel of a frame and panel are defined in separate configurations. This allows sharing of common parameters. I can modify the two driving parameters (Opening Width and Height) and have all the parts for a door or drawer front be driven off those two parameters. It also allows me to develop an entire drawer or bank of drawers that only uses 1 or 2 parts (if separate drawer face) in a model for for use by Xpress users.

I have developed macros that allow me to lock and unlock specific locks, all with a single hot key stroke. It also advances to the next configuration so that I can repeat that procedure down the list of configurations. This macro has been expanded to repeat this proceedure a specified number of times, and Alex Franke has helped me create a callable program that will return the number of configurations (when only one part file is open) that will allow me to automate that procedure and save me from manually counting the number of configurations.

What specifically are the details of your naming conventions for features and variables?