What's new

Configurations Issue

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I submitted a ticket for this. Just ran into an issue using configurations, which was totally unexpected.

Part as shown. The small OD extrusion is different lengths, creating a long and short version of the part. This feature, Extrusion<2>, was created using the "From Geometry" Method, with an offset distance from the XY Plane. Long story short, Configurations did not like this and it would apply the same dimension value in both Configs. If I change it in the short, it changes it in the long, and vice-versa.

I changed the feature to "To Depth" and the Config values "held" as intended.

Just a heads up for others.

1674154440323.png

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think I came across the same issue but don't recall if I ever submitted a ticket for it. :oops:
The reason that To Geometry cannot be controlled by configurations is that it does not have an EE option. Once you enter a value it stays as entered no mater the config. That needs to change. I hope that is an oversight that is easily corrected.

offset not configurable.jpg

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Thanks @HaroldL Have run into the EE value thing other places as well. I feel that EVERY place you are able to enter a value, there should be an associated Equation Editor Value.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Thanks @HaroldL Have run into the EE value thing other places as well. I feel that EVERY place you are able to enter a value, there should be an associated Equation Editor Value.
I thought that there was work being done on all dialogs that would add links to the EE for all manually entered values. I ran a quick forum search to see if @Max ever commented on that but only found some references to the ongoing work on the UI, EE, and other items, starting a few versions back.

Until there is an EE option for To Geometry the only available is to create a To Geometry feature for each configuration. That is not ideal, since the To Geometry value cannot be linked or entered into an equation (that I can see), but it would get the job done.

Maybe @Max could comment on this particular issue if it has any priority in the list of ongoing enhancements to Alibre.