What's new

Constant windows explorer crash

GaretDH

This is simply unreal. I cannot use my primary computer because of a constant loop of Windows Explorer crashes. The culprit? ad_thumbnail_viewer64.dll.

I can't do anything with this machine. I can't even boot to safe mode. I'm dead in the water, and can't express in public forum how angry I am at this moment.

What the hell am I supposed to do now?

GaretDH

Backed down from the ledge. I have a meeting in an hour.

I was able to get a command window to open, and deleted the most recent part files I had, which happened to be translated SW files. The file is gone forever now so unfortunately I can't send it to support.

I have to say, though, that this is just about the most graceless and clumsy failure mode I've ever encountered. Endless death-loops of Explorer crashes because of a thumbnail viewer? Seriously?

Elrick

I know how you feel! I've adopted to this problem now. Are you also using windows 8 Garet? If so, in the bottom right corner of the windows explorer theres two icons. One for information and one for thumbnails. When thumbnails are selected the explorer crashes a lot of times when displaying too many or faulty ones. Just keep it at infromation and the windows explorer should stop crashing. Im not a computer geek but I know this problem is related to C++ Visuals and runtime commands. When im looking for specific parts I want to add to an assembly I always use the explorer to browse for that file before I use the insert part window from GM itself. Many times I've lost a lot of progress cause GM crashes when the thumbnails are displayed in the insert part window. Dont know if this problem is caused by GMs code to make thumbnails or W8 to read them. If I knew about these troubles I would never have upgraded to W8!

Attachments

• window crashing.png
    window crashing.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 768

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I too have had explorer crash on me quite a lot lately... not convinced its GD related though... happens with other software too.

Elrick

Can someone please tell me they found a solution for this. Its irritating the crap out of me. Support told me "This is actually a bug, which was fixed in the v16 hotfix 1 patch. If you proceed with updating your version 16 software you should find that this is no longer an issue." I downloaded the latest Geomagic from their download page and also updated windows but it didnt solve the problem. "Updating your version 16 software" is there a trick here or sumthing??? Thumbnails totally useless when it crashes the explorer!

Elrick

I assume there are still corupted thumbnails created by previous versions in the folders. Can this be the problem?

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
GaretDH
I had a problem like yours a few months ago. It turn out to be a memory problem. I replaced the memory and the problem went away. I don't know if that's your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check your memory. I use Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ (the download is at the bottom of the page).

Elrick

When theres no thumbnails the explorer doesnt crash. But thanks RocketNut. The files I want to view were imported from Inventor and Rhino. 150 items drawn and named by other guys. For me to find what Im looking for I need to open each one of them.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Elrick said:
I assume there are still corupted thumbnails created by previous versions in the folders. Can this be the problem?

You can check if this might be the problem by either finding a directory with only a few files in, or copy a few files to a new directory. For each file open, change the viewport and save (should create new thumbnail).

After creating new thumbnails for all files in the folder - turn on thumbnails view and try browsing that folder.

Elrick

I think the problem might be solved after I download from the link provided by support. The install file for the latest PRODUCTVERSION 16,0,1,16490 doesnt correspond with the file on the download page? My system still shows 15.0.2.15088. I will leave some feedback If the bug is gone. Otherwise I give up on another unsolved problem.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes Geomagic Design V16 download resources are at a totally different location than the old Alibre/Geomagic web site.

Download link is usually sent out with activation codes. It can also be found by navigating from the Geomagic.com web site and the 'visit tech suppport site' option (though that process is quite long winded and not especially obvious).