What's new

Constrain a Linear Pattern within another object

WillAdams

How do you constrain a Linear Pattern so that it is centered within another object?

Capture.PNG

Alternately, how do you set the offset at which an object (say a Linear Pattern) appears from the origin point?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Dimension or constrain the seed feature to position it relative to origin (or anything else) - the pattern settings take care of spacing and direction.

WillAdams

Unfortunately, I'm using Atom3D, so scripting is not an option.

I can't get the Linear pattern centered in the other object, nor can I instantiate how distant it is from the corner of the object it is being cut out of --- how do I do this? Or what is it in the help file which I should (re)read so as to understand how to do this?

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello WillAdams,

i don't know if you can open the file (i do not have Atom)...
In the file i've made one posssible way (maybe not the best) to center a pattern.
If you change the dimensions don't forget to choose regenerate all after that...

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• PatternCenter.AD_PRT
    653 KB · Views: 8

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Unfortunately, I'm using Atom3D, so scripting is not an option.

I can't get the Linear pattern centered in the other object, nor can I instantiate how distant it is from the corner of the object it is being cut out of --- how do I do this? Or what is it in the help file which I should (re)read so as to understand how to do this?
What David said. You may need a calculator. Or pencil and paper.

WillAdams

Decided to do an end run around things --- instead of modeling the stock, and removing the pockets only, I drew in the edges/dividers --- it's a bit more awkward and involved in parameterizing, but it does work:

Capture.PNG

oldfox

Alibre Super User
What David said. You may need a calculator. Or pencil and paper.

Simple arithmetic to calculate where to place the primary pocket. Draw pocket. Linear Pattern to required numbers and extrude cut.

Attachments

• Centered Pattern Example.AD_PRT
    468.5 KB · Views: 5

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Good morning (afternoon) Stefan.

there is nothing else than alibre neccessary to solve this!

Granted.

Everyone generally uses the methods with which they are most comfortable. So long as the end product is the same.
I guess that just goes to show that great minds don't necessarily always think alike. :D

WillAdams

That worked --- that button was hidden under "Generate to Last Feature" --- I'll try to wrap my mind around how the file is put together --- looks like you're doubling the array? So only even numbers of items are possible?

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello WillAdams,
So only even numbers of items are possible?
Yes. (If you use a -patterndistance which is the half of the whole you can "fake" odd numbers, but that's not a clean way...)
It is possible to setup the parametric/part template with the EquationEditor to be able to get odd numbers.
Also you can calculate the number of possible holes or change the "outer rectangle" in order to the number of holes and so on and on...
If you ask with a detailed description of your wish, you might get a better fitting answer if needed.
Regards
Stefan

I was trying to make an organizer for endmills --- worked it out in a different way though:
I guess my approach is different in that I either (A) "bore" (with Forstner bites hole that are a nominal 1/64 inch larger than the shanks for each size of endmill or (B) make a plastic pipe "case for "sets" of endmills (etc.) that can be closed up with a "pipe cap" bored out for the "set" I may need to carry with me. -- Lew