What's new

Constraining a gear on a shaft

Art K

I have moved on from importing the gear into Alibre. I fave the gear on the shaft and in the location I want, but it rotates on the shaft I want it fixed. I have a coincidental and coaxial restraints. I real life it's a press fit onto the crankshaft. This seems like it should be an easy fix and maybe I'm tired and can't see it. I will need to use the same procedure to fix the cam gear. Thanks for your help.
Art

1707184974123.png

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I have moved on from importing the gear into Alibre. I fave the gear on the shaft and in the location I want, but it rotates on the shaft I want it fixed. I have a coincidental and coaxial restraints. I real life it's a press fit onto the crankshaft. This seems like it should be an easy fix and maybe I'm tired and can't see it. I will need to use the same procedure to fix the cam gear. Thanks for your help.
Art

View attachment 40918

Right click the gear and select "show reference geometry". Then do the same to the crankshaft. You should then be able to constraint the gear and the shafts reference planes to one another.

After, you can right click each and un-select "show reference geometry".

Assuming the two parts were created with a plane symmetrically bisecting the part, you can constrain the two planes coincident. If not, an offset constraint should suffice.

sacherjj

Thanks for this. I just ran into trying to figure out a constraint and was trying to figure it out. Wing ribs on a tubular spar, so same issue.

It seems like a flag on the coaxial constraint that limits rotation would be really handy.

sacherjj

1-1 gear constraint does it.

That works well. Setup Coaxial, Coincident and a Mechanical Gear as as 1:1 (with correct rotation) to lock onto the shaft.

Attachments

• Rotary Lock Assm.AD_PKG
    51 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Art K

Kenn 226, Thanks for the help that worked quite well. Sacherjj I will try your method on the cam to cam gear constraint. Sorry as a hobbyist I don't have V27 so I couldn't look at your rotary lock assembly. but I will see If I can figure it out.
Art