What's new

Contour Base Flange Problems

martikat

Is anyone having problems with using the new (for V12) "Contour Base Flange" tool? When creating sheet metal weldments, especially when editing the Contour Base Flange sketch from within the weldment assembly, the "Reverse Thickness" option toggles itself to the opposite of what I selected when creating the part. I thought it was a minor inconvenience to switch it back, however now I noticed that my part drawings are often generated with the "sheet metal thickness" on the opposite side of the sketch from what it was in the part file when last saved. I have even had an open assembly, showing all the sheet metal parts as I intended them to appear, and my linked drawing files will again show the thickness on the opposite side of the sketch. Initially, this problem manifested itself on sheet metal parts with driven sketches, so I thought that the driven sketches might be the cause but now I am having the same problem with an extremely simple and dimension-driven four sheet metal part assembly. If anyone has any tips or comments, I could use them .. Thank you!

Giecon.nl

I have the same experience and am reluctant to use the flange tool. Especially when you ad more flanges with the normal flange tool it becomes very unpredictable. I have had flanges flipping, thickness flipping after just changing some dimensions. I don't have any solutions or work around.

Yes, we have been experiencing this problem too. Alibre needs to get this fixed ASAP!!! And next time please test the new features before releaseing them!

bjornsh

Yes, I am experiencing problems with this feature too.

I am trying to make a sketch based on the edge contour of another part. This part has fillets. When I project this edge to the sketch that is the basis for the flange contour feature, it refuses to generate the flange.

When I rework the sketch "manually" and create the contour of the part, add fillets, etc. it work normal.

Bjorn

It appears that the contour base flange sheetmetal feature does not work correctly if you use the Reverse Thickness option. If you do use it, if you save and then reopen the part and edit any feature the reverse thickness option will magically unselect itself in the base flange.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately this issue was never officially reported. We test Alibre heavily before every release, but that does not mean we will catch every issue. As a reminder, if you run into problems with Alibre Design functionality it is important to notify our support team at support@alibre.com so we can address the issue quickly.

I have informed our development team of this particular issue. We will be addressing the problem in our next release. In the meanwhile a workaround can be used to avoid this problem. If you explode your contour flange after applying the reverse option you will be able to save and reload the part with the same geometry.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.