What's new

Contour flange failure

GaretDH

The attached part is based on a simple contour flange sketch. I'm trying to delete the two beveled corners and square it up.

I edit the sketch under the contour flange, "intersect" the lines at the top and bottom corners, and trim out the angled lines. Easy? It should be, but it's not. The loft not only fails but GM completely loses its mind, throws an error and stops responding to commands. I have to completely dump out of the program and restart it.

Aside from the specific issue, I cannot believe that GM has such trouble recovering gracefully from errors.

To the issue, I fail to see why a simple operation like this should blow up the sketch profile. What good is parametric modeling if the software cannot tolerate edits? It appears that when I run the contour flange again, it's trying to set the thickness in the wrong direction. Why should this change? And if I manually change the direction to get it going the right way again, it fails AGAIN because now (apparently) all of my cut features and so on down the line have lost their associativity with the surfaces I put them on. Failure is becoming a recurring theme lately.

This is unbelievably exasperating.

Attachments

• CPU_Segment.AD_SMP
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Something like this?

Attachments

• CPU_Segment-new.AD_SMP
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • NEW.png
    NEW.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 22

GaretDH

Yes. I just spoke with tech support and apparently this is an issue/bug with the way the lines are drawn. If you edit the sketch by using the line tool to manually add the corners and then delete the angled lines, it will regenerate.

If, however, you edit the sketch by using the "intersect" tool to finish off the corners and then trim out the angled lines, the sketch will fail. Tech support saw the same problem I did.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Yes, I have edited the sketch, using the line tool,
to manually add the corners and then I have deleted the angled lines.

indesign

Alibre Super User
This is cruel....I fixed after 2nd try in such an easy way. I see the issue in that by just deleting the corners the software sort freaks in internal numbering (best I can tell). However the easy way is to remove the dimensions defining the corner then dimension the distance of the angle to a zero dimension from the back.

DONE!

Attachments

• CPU_Segment(1).AD_SMP
    1.3 MB · Views: 6