What's new

Convert to sheet metal error

WillB

Pretty simple ,trying to convert the sides of this hopper to a sheet metal and keep getting this error. Also included the PRT file.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 13
  • HopperSolid.AD_PRT
    666.5 KB · Views: 6

Hunter

You have too many geometric errors in that model, some examples below.

There are multiple sharp corners in one location
upload_2020-9-30_14-6-4.png

Below you have an open fold of some sort, this is not physically possible to produce from a single sheet of metal
upload_2020-9-30_14-8-38.png

Here you have a face inside the sheet metal, again, not possible to have since it is a discontinuity of the sheet.
upload_2020-9-30_14-10-11.png

You'll have to clean up the part first. In essence, a sheetmetal part is a single developable surface (with zero thickness) and the thickness is merely a parameter. That is an oversimplification, but if you think along those lines it will give you an idea of what the part should look like.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You have some impossible aspects of the design - see image.

HopperSolid.jpg

If you are modelling it as hollow, not sure why you didn't do it directly in sheet metal - typically it's much faster to model a solid lump, and use convert to SMP to create 'panels' from the faces of solid. That's also what the conversion tool expects.

WillB

That would be great except the top and bottom widths are different on this hopper therefore creating a need for the bend down the side

Last edited:

WillB

Actually the front and back of the hopper(vertical sides) are not a problem as i have those doing what i want

WillB

Here is the updated version I just need the two sides w/ the kinky bends

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 17
  • HopperSolid.AD_PRT
    614.5 KB · Views: 6

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
That would be great except the top and bottom widths are different on this hopper therefore creating a need for the bend down the side

So just cut off part of one side - then mirror the cut across the solid.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Will,
I took a few minutes to grab some dimensions off your solid model and created a sheet metal version. I made each side a separate part because of the extra bends on the ends and .0625 thick based on your model.
If nothing else it can serve as a tutorial of sorts for you.

Hopper_SheetMetal.jpg

I'm not sure but are you planning on making this hopper out of .0625 thick material? That seems pretty thin given the over all size of it. Unless it will be added to some other structure it may need some support or stiffeners on the sides.

Attachments

• Hopper_SheetMetal.AD_PKG
    188 KB · Views: 2