What's new

Convert to Sheet metal

JL82

I created the part by Alibre 2017.1 After that I tried to convert its to sheet metal.

There is some issue on the sheet metal part because flat pattern is not working. The corners don't look good (Attahcment JPG). Bug?

upload_2018-1-10_11-2-10.png

Attachments

• TEST.AD_PKG
    73.6 KB · Views: 10

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
This looks like it could be a Bug. The faces are not pulling back to the bends, even at a larger bend radius of 4 mm the faces still are not ending at the bends.
For now, unchecking the Reverse Thickness will let it unfold. Even with reverse thickness unchecked it looks like there is still a bit of the face protruding into the bend.

I took a couple of screen shots that highlight the issue. The first has the material to the outside and I increased the bend radius to 6 mm.
Material Outside R6.0.png

The second image has the material set to the inside and shows the two faces extending into the bend and each other.
Material Inside R6.0.png

Maybe Support can shed some light on this.

Last edited:

fabcadmz

I ran into the same problem on a part I am working on. I found if you explode the converted sheetmetal part then edit the sketch of every flange to remove the small sliver at the corner you will be able to flatten the part.
See this screenshot Screenshot.png

I know this is not ideal as the associativity to the base part is lost but it should work.
Support is aware of the issue.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I know this is not ideal as the associativity to the base part is lost but it should work.
That's a good trick to know. Some may even call it a work around.;)
Depending on the design it may or may not be necessary to keep associativity to the base part. Usually when/if I convert a part to sheet metal it's because of a unique shape or profile that would take some time or effort to recreate in sheet metal.

Support is aware of the issue.
What did Support say about it, was it reported to Development as a Bug?