What's new

Copying a 3D sketch

aptivaboy

Hi all,

Is there a way to copy a 3D sketch? I've laid out a sweep, but for 3D printing purposes I'd like to print the sweep part separately from the main part, a Star Trek warp nacelle. However, I can't figure out how to copy the 3D sketch to be swept. I'd like to ultimately create the sweep in a separate window, and create a distinct and separate part now that I know the sweep will work.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Bob

PS Alternatively, is there a way to break the result of the sweep (seen in green) away from the rest of the model and into its own discrete part?

Attachments

• 3D sketch - sweep.jpg
    3D sketch - sweep.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 3D sketch - sweep - result.jpg
    3D sketch - sweep - result.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Warp nacelle - Outboard side.jpg
    Warp nacelle - Outboard side.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

aptivaboy

Um - stammers and knows he will sound silly - because I don't know how? I've played with configurations and never quite gotten them to work. When I try to right click the Configurations line in the Design Explorer, the choices remain greyed out, the New Configuration option not being selectable. That's kind of what I've always dealt with when trying to set up Configurations.

Nick952

If the function is available in your version, you could copy the Nacelle into an assembly workspace and then use the "New Part" button to create the sweep on this assembly.

The "New Part Sweep" will have it's own identity/file, that you can then use in isolation.

Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Bob,

may you try the appended short script...
It will let you choose a 3D-Sketch in your actual part (from where you start the script) and then it will
create a new part in a new window with your sketch in it...
The script has no additional comfort functions (error capturing, free name input and so on...), it only copies ;-)

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• 3DSketchCopy.py
    436 bytes · Views: 8

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I can't figure out how to copy the 3D sketch to be swept. I'd like to ultimately create the sweep in a separate window, and create a distinct and separate part now that I know the sweep will work.

By following these steps you should be able to create a new part with the existing sketches:
  1. Edit the Path sketch of the Sweep feature.
  2. Window select or Ctrl+A to select the entire sketch, including dimensions, if any, then Ctrl+C to copy.
  3. Start a new Part.
  4. Select a Plane in the new part and Activate 2d sketch.
  5. RMB click and select Paste Stamper.
  6. Position the sketch that is attached to the mouse cursor on or near the Origin and click to place it.
  7. Add constraints and dimensions to locate the Profile sketch as needed.
  8. Dimension as needed.
  9. Switch back in the original part.
  10. Edit the Profile of the Sweep feature.
  11. Window select of Ctrl+A to select the entire sketch, including any dimensions, if any, then Ctrl+C to copy.
  12. Switch to the New Part window.
  13. RMB on a Plane that is perpendicular to the one the the Path is on and activate 2d sketch.
  14. RMB click and select Paste Stamper.
  15. Position the sketch that is attached to the mouse cursor on or near the Origin and click to place.
  16. Add constraints and dimensions to locate the Profile sketch as needed.
  17. Start the Sweep function and select the sketches for Path and Profile.
  18. Complete the Sweep then Save the part.
I wrote this from memory so excuse any mistakes/missteps.

Last edited:

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Harold, Unless I'm missing something, your method works, but only for 2D sketches, The original poster was trying to copy 3D sketches.
I did try Stephan's script, and it works as advertised.

Note I am using v21 not v22

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I may have misunderstood. Looking at the part the OP is creating it looked like a 2d sketch would work if the sketch plane is centered on the part.

aptivaboy

Hi,

Yes, it is a 3D sketch. I'll try the script some more. When I activate it, a new window appears but the 3D line and/or part are not in it. Sorry for being such a pain.

Bob

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Any particular reason you used a 3d sketch instead of a 2d sketch on what looks like a plane thru the middle of the part. I would think that would have been easier and quicker for such a simple feature.

aptivaboy

Yes. The part is a STP import from Moment of Inspiration and very little is working properly with this import. Extrude Cuts operate as Extrude Bosses, and vice versa. Sweeps operate as Sweep Cuts, and vice versa. Oddly, many operations are literally reversed. A 2D sweep wouldn't work, but a 3D sweep would. I have no idea why...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yes. The part is a STP import from Moment of Inspiration and very little is working properly with this import. Extrude Cuts operate as Extrude Bosses, and vice versa. Sweeps operate as Sweep Cuts, and vice versa. Oddly, many operations are literally reversed. A 2D sweep wouldn't work, but a 3D sweep would. I have no idea why...
I was thinking more of an Extrude Boss rather than a Sweep Boss. Once you have the shape defined, currently the Path, the extrude is easy enough. Even a Thin Extrude could work but would need some trimming at the ends to match the surfaces it mates to.

Something like this:

Nacelle Bracket.jpg

Attachments

• Nacelle Bracket.AD_PRT
    317.5 KB · Views: 3

sz0k30

I still see absolutely no reason for this part to require a 3D sketch? Its about as simple a part as you can make - a few straight lines and an extrude.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Here's the same thing using a sweep.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Nacelle Bracket Sweep.AD_PRT
    348.5 KB · Views: 3

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Could be because the file is bad quality eg. not solid/missing surfaces. That can sometimes make AD do weird things and a good reason why AD needs improved model repair tools. Did you do a 'check part' on the imported file?