What's new

Corrupt files?

Markaj

Ok - bad practise I know, but I left an assembly open overnight. When I rewake the computer next morning, the assembly has become disconnected & is showing up a load of bad constraints.
These are missing one reference to one of the components, and I am unable to remake the constraints - it fails.
Anyway, opening up the component parts of the assembly to check them, they all seem ok - see enclosed. However, the minute you move the dogbone up a step, it throws up a load of failed sketches/features.
So I am wondering if leaving the assembly has corrupted the file, or am I missing something blindingly obvious??!
Can anyone shed some light on this, before I bite the bullet & redo?
I'm sure this has happened before, but usually time is tight, so I start again from scratch after failing to find the cause.
TIA Mark

Attachments

• Body.AD_PRT
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Markaj,
first:
upload_2019-7-27_11-51-55.png
second:
Axis<8> isn't complete defined (only the Plane<7> but no second entity)
third:
The Fillet<28> has not entity in it so that there is nothing to apply a fillet...
fourth:
Extrusion<26> has a missing target geometry

made assumptions for the missing things and after that i can drag the dogbone up and down without issues.

Regards
Stefan

Markaj

Hi Stefan - thanks for that!
Well fixing the 3 features above gets rid of the red failed features, but I still get all these (in italics);
upload_2019-7-27_11-35-24.png
Where a large percentage of sketches seem to have failed - but why?!
Also some of the fillets have reattached themselves to places they never were before!
The thing is the model was sound when I saved it yesterday....
Ive included the global parameter file this time.

Attachments

• Body.AD_PKG
    234.4 KB · Views: 1

Markaj

I do get this problem from time to time; - a feature will show up as failed (in italics as above) and the only way to fix it is delete it and the sketch & redo them. I've never really got to the bottom of it - usual case, in a hurry, redo it quickly & move on.
Its as though the sketch has lost it's reference plane.....beats me!

idslk

Alibre Super User
Ive included the global parameter file this time.
everything loads fine except
but I still get all these (in italics);
most of the times these sketches are made on faces and when the faces get changed in later operations it might influent the "old" sketch...
I made your "sketch<6>" new on ZX-Plane and dimensionend the cutting rectangle against Z and Y axis.
Then i extruded it new (Skizze<18> and Extrusion<40>)upload_2019-7-27_13-25-55.png
The italics is gone...

Some say it is better to sketch on planes...;) (and, yes this technique has also disadvantages...)

Regards
Stefan

Markaj

Yeah - I get why sketches can lose their reference faces, but this has happened to a load of parts that have not been altered - parts that consist of just 2 features!
Sketching on planes is all very well, but if you're at the design stage & don't even know what the finished thing is going to look like......plus you can end up with an awful lot of planes!
Well - it seems I cannot actually upload the Global parameter file, as it is an unsupported file type, hmmmm.....

Reactions: JST

Markaj

It would be nice to know what triggers this off, how to avoid it & how to fix it - quickly!
cheers
Mark

Attachments

• Body.zip
    222.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Front drawer.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 1
It would be nice to know what triggers this off, how to avoid it & how to fix it - quickly!
cheers
Mark -- You need to know that Windows used different "File Identification Technology" than "Alibre" does. Thus, if you rename or copy an "Alibre File" you need to open it (essentially) immediately with Alibre perform a SaveAs and overwrite it to have a file that Alibre can find, open, and use.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Sorry Mark,
i'm on 2019, i'm afraid that i can't give you an 2017 file.
Regards
Stefan

Markaj

Thanks Stefan for having a look!
So did you just have to recreate each failed sketch to repair it? I think Lew's point might have had something to do with it - I'll try and recreate it. One part was renamed (spelling mistake) - might have caused the fails?
Mark

BTW - some backwards/forwards version compatibility or means to convert, would be nice too.....
Or fewer major version updates & more in-version tweaks. Not all of us (and a lot of companies, big & small, I've worked for) budget for annual CAD software updates.

Last edited: