What's new

Corrupted Degrees Symbol - Problem Solved

danwilley

I have a drawing that contains several marked angles (draft angles on a casting pattern). When I create a PDF of the drawing, the "degrees" symbol is changed to an "infinity" symbol. See the attached screen clips showing the correct symbol within Alibre and the corrupted symbol from the PDF (created by Alibre). Any idea how to correct this?

Thanks,
Dan

Left: Drawing as shown in Alibre with correct degree symbols.
Right: Generated PDF with corrupted degree symbols.

Degree Symbol OK.pngDegree Symbol Bad.png

domcm

@danwilley

Just confirming that you are using v23 - correct? If so, what is weird is that I reported the same issue in the v22 beta but Alibre fixed it.

Using Alibre v23, build 23055 I don't see the same issue with the angular degree symbol when I generate a PDF using Alibre's built-in PDF writer. Just curios, I tested with Arial font, what font are you using?

danwilley

David M - I am using Alibre V24 Build 24043. I am also using the Arial font.

Date: Friday, February 25, 2022 2:17:29 PM
Alibre Design™ Expert
Version: V24 64-bit [Build 24043]

David J - I am using the built-in PDF writer to generate the PDF files. Not sure if it matters but I use "PDFSam" to read and print the generated PDF files outside of Alibre.

I hope I can figure out how to fix this as it is holding up a project. My last step in the project is to create PDF drawings to email to a client and this just looks sloppy.

Thanks for your comments and help!
Dan

PS: I updated my signature line to reflect my current Alibre version which is V24 (not V23 when made the first post about this problem.)

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Try a different PDF app to read, just to check - or upload a PDF here to see if others get same issue with you file.

danwilley

Try a different PDF app to read, just to check - or upload a PDF here to see if others get same issue with you file.

Ok, I opened the PDF with Adobe and do not have the problem so problem solved!

I use "PDFSam Enhanced V7" (and "PDFSam Visual") to combine and rearrange several Alibre generated PDF multi-sheet drawing files to create a single combined drawing packet file... to send to a client. PDFSam is good at that kind of PDF manipulation. The degree symbol and maybe other symbols however are corrupted when displayed or printed by PDFSam. If I display or print a PDF drawing packet file (combined and created by PDFSam) using Adobe, the degree symbol is correct. So PDFSam has a problem with an internal symbol table when it displays or prints a file, but apparently does not corrupt the symbols when manipulating the pages of a PDF file.

Thank you DavidJ for making that suggestion to try a different PDF app.

Dan

[Edit] After thinking about this problem a bit more, had I sent the drawing packet file to the client, he most likely would have seen the correct "degree" symbol unless his PDF display/print tool is also PDFSam or some other broken tool. [End Edit]

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Are you using PDFSam on the same PC as Alibre is installed? I ask because I believe some symbols use an Alibre specific font (that normally gets packed as needed in a PDF).

danwilley

Nate… yes. Alibre, PDFSam, Adobe are all located on the same Windows PC desktop. All files are local and are not remote. My Windows system has all the latest updates, as does Alibre, PDFSam and Adobe. I print to a network attached printer.