What's new

Cosmetic threads in drawing of Boolean part

shmbry

I have created a purely Boolean part. I could have done an assembly but prefered the Boolean as the parts are to be brazed together rather than screwed/bolted. As a matter of curiosity I created a drawing of the part. I will be doing drawings of my parts/assemblies once they are finished.

My problems are:

A. The cosmetic threads do not appear.

B. I cannot get a callout / note to define the thread type / size.

C. When I selected shaded view on the bottom left view, the whole view disappeared !?

The help article was quite sparse on adding cosmetic threads and the help on editing extenal thread callouts could not be found.

Can anyone offer some advice please.

Attachments

• Water Gauge Top.AD_DRW
    395 KB · Views: 3
  • Water Gauge Top.AD_PKG
    263.4 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
My guess is that you added the thread features before the boolean unite. It seems that the boolean operation may be consuming the thread feature and not allowing it to be called out or shown at the higher level of the boolean part.

I did not experience the shaded view disappearing when I selected it.

Maybe submitting this to Support for further explanation is in order.

I opened the parts and suppressed the thread features in each part. I then opened the boolean part and applied the thread features after the boolean unite. That seems to help getting them to show on the drawing and the callouts, at least one of t hem, to show in the view. The one issue I see is that the leader needs to be moved into the correct position. The view on the left shows the callout as it first appears. The view on the right is after i moved the leaders.

1676761766363.png

And point of reference, when uploading a part or assembly that has a drawing it is preferred that you create the Package file from the drawing. That will make it easier for downloading and analyzing the problem.

Also please state which version and flavor of Alibre you have when you post. Maybe put it in your forum signature.

shmbry

I found the cause of the shading issue when I re-opened the drawing this morning. I thought I had a pretty good graphics card, but will look into this further.

1676798936893.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Check that 'Advanced 2D Rendering' is enabled in System Options -> Display -> General. I'd have expected any fairly recent graphics adapter to support this.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Check that 'Advanced 2D Rendering' is enabled in System Options -> Display -> General. I'd have expected any fairly recent graphics adapter to support this.
Just a thought, since the removal of the legacy graphics option in v26, could this be still using a flag/setting that thinks legacy graphics is still enabled? ... even though you can no longer access it!

shmbry

Thank you David, that has resolved the shading issue as it was disabled on my machine. However I still cannot get thread callouts by right clicking a view and selecting External Thread Callouts - Add All.

shmbry

The lack of thread callouts is definitely due to the Boolean operation. I created an assembly of the same parts and was immediately able to get callouts in the assembly drawing. I don't think it's worth pursuing as a support issue. Using a Boolean in this way is just me being pedantic, it's not what they were intended for and I suspect there is no real gain in file size or complexity.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have to edit the 'designation' column of the Excel file that holds the thread information.

When I pulled together some of the (uncommon) thread information from standards, it wasn't obvious what all the columns did - even if I did know, would any particular user want to refer to M.E. or BSB ...

I should probably re-visit the ones that I did.