What's new

CRAP, CRAP, Crappity CRAP!!

rmcard

I have an assembly that has started giving me some problems, now to the point that Geomagic crashes right at the end of generating the assembly after opening.

My question: Is there a recovery method for Geomagic, or;
Can I recover even just the detail that is giving me the problem without recreating it?? (I can easily reconstruct my assembly with the other details I can still open separately)

I describe my problem below:

I started out using step files from a previously created assembly from another source as well as a part file that was also given to me as a step file.

I really don't think that the step file sources are my problems, rather I believe it to be the fact I have been heavily using interdesign relation constraints between parts and after closing the assembly this morning I think Geomagic is having a problem reconstituting the assembly as I try to reopen.

I had problems yesterday where I was having details reopening with the geometry going stupid and to fix I had to go back in to reset constraints either were missing, opposite or off in space from what I had originally set. But the thing is, the assembly would still open.

I'm thinking that even though I use interdesign constraints to make new details, I probably need to always set the constraints individually and permanently to each detail and erase any interdesign crossovers before shutting down assemblies in the future.

I believe I've narrowed down the problem to one solitary detail that refuses to even open by itself without crashing Geomagic. As stated above is there a way of recovering the detail rather than going back and recreating.

If you know the offending AD_PRT file, you can use the Windows File Explorer to rename it. The AD_ASM file will not be able to find it and give you an error message (which you can ignore) on loading. The offending Part file may be deleted from the Assembly and it is gone!

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Salutations rmcard: :)

Could you supply a screen shot of the error or provide what the error message is.

Rocket Nut

rmcard

The Assembly loads 99% of the way but you can see that I have a couple of constraints shown red. I have had other assemblies that will show several red constraints for a couple seconds then change themselves to good, but this assembly just crashes out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 63

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
This "Geomagic Stop Working" error is my nightmare also. :evil:

My work around has been to open all the assemblies parts (one at a time) and the regen the part. It has worked for most of the time. If that does not works then it might be time to contact support.

rmcard

Renaming the problem detail did allow me to open the assembly again, so I can still move forward. Trying to open the renamed detail though still results in a crash. I know I have Geomagic set to save backups, but I see nowhere I can click to open previous versions or recover problem files. I'd rather fix the existing than re-create it so if anyone has a magic workaround for me, please let me know.

JST

Alibre Super User
If you know which it is, do as Lew M says.

If you can fix the subassembly then when GMD complains, you can enter the new one as a substitute. If fixing affects features in the interface, it is better to delete it and then re-enter and re-constrain it.

Meanwhile GMD will put the assembly together without it.

Unless you can figure out what is wrong, and repeat the same rename or delete process on the subassembly, then you are likely stuck re-creating it.

Palinvan

I'm thinking that even though I use interdesign constraints to make new details, I probably need to always set the constraints individually and permanently to each detail and erase any interdesign crossovers before shutting down assemblies in the future.

I have found that statement to be true. I tried interdesign constraints a couple dozen times and every time there was nothing but problems. Much better to spend the time up front setting up the constraints separately in each part than spending hours on the back end trying to fix all the errors.

JST

Alibre Super User
I have found the use of actual linked constraints to be a real problem. A great idea that does not work out well.

I use "project to sketch" quite a bit. I either leave the item where it was placed, and do nothing, or I go in and dimension it to whatever dimension it came in as.

I have stopped ever using the "maintain association" (link back) feature, for two reasons. First, it seems to slow down all operations, by continually checking for changes. Second, if there are more than one or two of them "linked back", GMD seems to fail more often, sometimes losing the entire design.

It's an absolutely wonderful idea. It would be an even better idea if it worked. Or at least worked well without causing problems. The basic function works, it just causes problems