What's new

Creating a DXF file

PAndrade

Is there an easier way to create a DXF file without having to create a drawing?
It would be nice to just be able to export a part file to DXF format such as when you create the other export file types.

I don't think there is but it doesn't hurt to ask...

Thanks,
Peter

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There have been requests logged for DXF from sketch, or DXF from nominated flat face of part.

Since DXF in Alibre is purely 2D, DXF export from part doesn't make any sense without additional specification.

GeraldH

@PAndrade Creating DXFs is much more time consuming than it would have to be... I certainly agree.
In our operation when design on a project is complete, every sheet metal part needs a DXF flat pattern, exported for laser cutting.

Here is how it works.
1. Inside the sheet metal part, select Make Drawing of this Design 1 click
2. New Sheet Properties window, blank sheet, OK 2 clicks
3. Standard View Creation window , select views, view type, scale, Check the correct detailing options, OK 10 clicks
4. Place the view in the New Drawing 1 click
5. Select the Export File, Select File Location, Enter File Name, Save 4 clicks

So.. 18 Mouse clicks + selecting a file location & entering a file name to make a DXF . (typically the location and file name I need to be the same as the sheetmetal part.)
When there is 50-100 parts that require that exact same process, it can get tiring.o_O I would love to see the day the day AD integrates a simple 1step solution to this daily task.
I've dabbled with autohotkey and have something that almost / half works, but it doesn't compare to what AD could do inside their program.;)

PAndrade

Hi Gerald, I agree. I know in some cases exporting a design to a sketech to DXF file does not make sense but when its basically a flat file or 2.5D sketch you should have this option.
I tried this using DesignSpark Mechanical and it works perfectly.
But I'm trying to stay and learn with the software I purchased to get my investment returns, if that makes sense.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I've dabbled with autohotkey and have something that almost / half works, but it doesn't compare to what AD could do inside their program.
It sounds like something a script could handle if it has all the right functions.

Cator

Hi
the script you can find at the bottom of the thread I shared a few days agoeffects all the operations in one click.It just needs to be adapted to different hardware in my experience but it works well.Note that with the left click you can export to SVG which offers really good compatibility with modern systems
Regards

GeraldH

It sounds like something a script could handle if it has all the right functions.
I guess what I really want is a script that allows me to select a folder that contains my cad files for a certain project, and AHK finds the sheetmetal parts in it, exports them with Alibre one by one.
And by the time I come back from the lunchroom with a coffee refill it will be done... My limited AHK experience stands in the way of workin tho :confused:.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I guess what I really want is a script that allows me to select a folder that contains my cad files for a certain project, and AHK finds the sheetmetal parts in it, exports them with Alibre one by one.
And by the time I come back from the lunchroom with a coffee refill it will be done..
That sounds exactly like what I used SolidWorks Task Scheduler for when I was working. We had every sheet metal drawing with sheet named FLAT that had a 1:1 view of the flat pattern. I would set TS up to select the folder and go through all the drawings and export sheet FLAT. I even used TS to print all the drawings for a project when they were needed for production. That saved me hours of opening every drawing, one-by-one, to print and export. Too bad some scripting guru can't work out how to do that with Alibre script.

ehughes

Just wanted to also throw in a "vote" from a sketch to .dxf My use case is generating geometry for my ECAD/PCB tool. Projecting a feature from a 3d part to a sketch and exporting to .dxf in the 3d environment would be a nice feature.