What's new

Creating bolt threads and spindles?

Bastler

Creating bolt threads and spindles?

Hi there!

To make it brief:

I would like to create a bolt thread on a cylindric part in Alibre design, to be able to screw it into a surface area of another part or create spindles etc..

I'm sure this is as easy as most other things in alibre, but so far I could not figure out how to do it and I haven't found a reference to it in the manual, either, so maybe one of you could point me into the right direction...

Again, here's the objective:

Create a spindle with a Tr24x5 ISO Threading (or whatever else you happen to find in the database) on the outside over about half of the total length

I can create the solid with all neccessary edges and rotate it alright, but I could only find options to create treadings inside holes, which is the opposite of what I want... :(

Any help is appreciated!

P.S.: I use the german version of Alibre. The english menu items will work for me, too, but if you have the german names handy don't hezitate to mention them as well ;)

rbrian

Threads

Hi,
For a start, I suggest the tutorial included with Alibre Design on Helixes "Creating Helical Geometry" <"Alibre Design has a rich toolset for creating helical geometry. With it you can create springs, threads and other helical features."> and - go to the Helix menu - and click on the '?' help button there at the lower right beside the Cancel Button.

Remember - Helical Boss is adding material - as in Bolt Threads, and Helical Cut is removing material as in Hole Threads.

Robert Weekley

Bastler

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was thinking about that way, but there's a catch to it:

When creating 2D Drawings for matufacture from a helix design, it is displayed exactly as that in the technical drawing, rather than the 2 parallel lines (inner / outer thread diameter) specified in ISO regulations for standardized threading...

Of course this is not hard to fix, but I was hoping there was a way to have Alibre identify the threading as such so it would automatically create the 2D-Drawings accordingly, since such a function is in fact implemented for threading in holes...

But in lack of better options I guess I'll use the helix for now and correct the 2D drawings.

Again thanks for the help!
Please let me know if anything else comes to mind! :)

Bastler

I just played around with the reference file for threading (the cryptic definition file located in the user data folder) and found a list of values for both female AND male threading there!

So Alibre DOES know what outside threading looks like (at least it's got definition tables for it), just where does it use it??

It is possible to create a bolt as a helical cut, but isn't there an easier way to create screws, spindles etc?

Best Wishes

Bastler