What's new

Creating new layers and keeping them

Landyman

Hi there!

I'm pretty new to Alibre and couldn't find an answer in the search function, perhaps anyone can help...
I'd like to create custom symbols in 2D to make a nice library for drawing hydraulic schematics. I tried to add new layers for different colour schemes for example for pressure and return lines, etc. However I couldn't yet manage to keep these layers. As soon as I open a new drawing, the custom symbol is there, but all the lines are on the same black standard-layer and my personally crated layers are gone... Any ideas?
Ah yeah, using Alibre Design Expert 11.0.

Btw, is there a possibility to change the background colour from white to black in 2D? You see, I come from AutoCAD... :)

Thanks a lot for your help!
Sebastian

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The layer properties are inherited from the Template.

Try making your own template with the extra layers you require - making custom templates is covered in the PDF user guide.

NOTE - make a back up of the template (or simply store it in different directory from the default ones) - the default templates get overwritten when Alibre is updated.

Beware Alibre isn't really intended for things like 2D schematics, so you might face some frustration.

Landyman

Thanks a lot!

Your hint worked very well! Didn't know the layers are kept in the templates. I hope with a bit of practice I can make it work for my 2D requirements.
Now I can edit and keep new layers as I imagined, but they only seem to work on seperate lines and not on custom created symbols.
Any suggestions if I have overlooked something?

Thanks!
Landyman

TimoCAD

Hi Landyman,

you're right, symbols can only exist in one layer.

I'm also not amused about that fact, cause if you're for example designing your drawing frame template it's not possible to have the implemented lines in different layers because the frame and the titleblock are still symbols.

Maybe the next version 2013 (v15?) has an improved functonality included about that fact.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to create custom symbols in 2D to make a nice library for drawing hydraulic schematics. I tried to add new layers for different colour schemes for example for pressure and return lines, etc. However I couldn't yet manage to keep these layers. As soon as I open a new drawing, the custom symbol is there, but all the lines are on the same black standard-layer and my personally crated layers are gone... Any ideas?

Hi Landyman,

you're right, symbols can only exist in one layer.

I'm also not amused about that fact, cause if you're for example designing your drawing frame template it's not possible to have the implemented lines in different layers because the frame and the titleblock are still symbols.

Maybe the next version 2013 (v15?) has an improved functonality included about that fact.

This is fixed in 2013 for both templates and custom symbols.

Max