What's new

Cross section view of imported STEP fiel

Maavhamt

Dear All,

I am trying to make a YZ section view of this imported file. The section view sections the peripheral items but not the actual bucket. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• iM2435 Case ZY view.AD_ASM
    298.5 KB · Views: 13

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Maavhamt.

We can't see your problem, because, its an assembly, the parts going into it is missing.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Section can sometimes fail on imported parts (non-obvious fault in the import file). I particularly find that sectioning across holes on a PCD can cause issues - shifting the section to a different orientation can often resolve the issue.

As per Oldbelt's post - try creating a Package File of the assembly - that's the simplest way to include all files.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
From the assembly workspace, click on Alibre logo (top left corner) -> Package -> Create.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you offset the section by 20mm it will work. Probably something to do with a feature of the imported body of the case.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Thank you yes that does work. I had tried 10mm offset which didn't work but 20mm does for some reason.
Maauhamt -- It is somewhat non-intuitive but you meed to remember that STEP and other "imported" file types come in only as "dumb solids" that often require more careful handing than "intelligent solids"to make things come out correctly. One of the things that I often resort to is to create Configurations where I "Section" a Part through an Extrude Cut such that, at the Assembly level I can create a Configuration wherein the "Section View Part Configurations" are shown to construct a "Section View."

bigseb

Alibre Super User
AND...

(... I have brought this up time and again...)

... when you import a part, do a 'check part'!!! Takes but a few moments, can save you endless hassles down the line. An ideal 'check part' result is no failures. Failed vertices are still ok but once you get failed edges and surfaces... watch out. Then you need to start adjusting you import settings.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I find it very frustrating when working with imported bearings. I always seem to end up with 1 bearing that won't section correctly. I import SAT files. Maybe I should go back to step files.?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
AND...

(... I have brought this up time and again...)

... when you import a part, do a 'check part'!!! Takes but a few moments, can save you endless hassles down the line. An ideal 'check part' result is no failures. Failed vertices are still ok but once you get failed edges and surfaces... watch out. Then you need to start adjusting you import settings.
Any issues with imported files are down to dodgy geometry 99% of the time. The check part will help determine the integrity of a file avoid you working with a bad import.

The tools are there...