What's new

Custom drawing templates - where to save the file??

Zc@d

Hello, I'm trying to create a custom drawing template. I tried to follow this guide, but it seems they don't even describe where to save the custom template file so that in future projects it appears in the template list when creating a drawing: https://alibre.freshdesk.com/suppor...-custom-2d-drawing-templates-in-alibre-design
How to do that ?

I will have other questions about creating templates after this one, like for example how to choose the exact place where the fields are filled (design property OR/AND user input) and not only the title of those fields.

Thanks in advance !

simonb65

Alibre Super User
They get saved with the other templates in ...

1692276797934.png

... and it is version dependant, so you may have to copy any custom templates from an older version to later versions.

I'm sure you can specify a path to your custom template, because my corporate templates are on a file server on my network!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can save your own drawing templates anywhere - Alibre remembers the last used location.

It's generally better not to save your own templates in the Alibre default templates directory.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Your sketch it into the template - I created a custom symbol so that it could be used across several templates if needed. If in a location where both projection methods are used, remember to differentiate in template name between 1st & 3rd.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
From sheet properties of the drawing, change template to any other template, then change it back to the modified one. Information only gets inherited from template during creation or if template is changed. So this 'shuffle' is needed if you update template and want it to apply to existing drawing.

Zc@d

Oh okay, didn't know!
I have a lot of questions haha... when I create a field in a custom template (that is well placed in the boxes of the tab) and then fill that field in a drawing with the same template, the text is not placed correctly...why and how to fix that issue?

Attachments

• template.png
    template.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 9
  • issue.png
    issue.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 9

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Activate the grid exceptionally, and activate the snap with 0.1mm.
After that, you can arrange all things very precisely.

This is one of the very few positive features of the grid.
After that, please deactivate the grid and the snap immediately.

Zc@d

Ok thanks!
One more question :D Is it possible to create drawing pages from other files in the same drawing project ? I have several parts in the assembly I need to create separate drawings for them. Otherwise I will have to do separately and combine the pdfs together...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, each sheet is independent - you can even add views of another model on an existing sheet.

Just use Standard Views tool again, but specify different model.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
When I add a new sheet, it automatically add a perspective view of the product but I can't select it to delete it, how do I fix it?
New sheets are EMPTY when added. Nothing gets added 'automatically'. In standard views dialog you can browse to any file as the source for views to add (it will default to the last model used initially)

You can delete any view.

You might find this useful

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Also is it possible to delete some parts of an assembly directly in the drawing, without modifying the assembly file?

You can HIDE and part in a view, either expand the view in drawing explorer and hide items form there OR simply right click on part in a view and choose Hide.