What's new

Customization Settings Deleted in GD Feb 04 update

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
I've had no problems with automatic updates until this latest one (I think it was on the 4th of Feb). Every change and customization to the System Options page I had made were gone after the update. Now I get to spend my time recreating the shortcuts that had saved me time instead of getting my job done.

It would be entirely possible to programmatically use a CSV file to hold parameters like this.
The CSV file could be read each time the program starts, this may impact the start-up time.
Alternatively, buttons to export and import settings could be added to allow the user to export and import at will.

This just p***** me off that these settings are wiped away. Even if I hadn't allowed automatic updates, I am guessing that there would have been no warning telling me that my System Options customization would be changed.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
I hope so otherwise I'll have to eat crow. :?
Maybe I did go off half-cocked, crazed from shoveling snow. :oops:

My latest is:

Geomagic Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 15,0,2,15088 ] 32-bit

EDIT:
I see there are several views of this thread.

Will someone who hasn't seen there system options settings (for example: "Display Grid", "Use Alibre Vault", or Keyboard Shortcuts) get changed within the last week, please post your GD version number?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
15.0.2.15088 has been around for quite a while, and no my options haven't all gone off.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
David,
Thanks very much for your input. That will resolve it for me and will help anyone else looking at this thread.

Seriously though I've got to wonder, what the heck happened to reset my installation to the original defaults.
My bet is I'll never know.

Thanks again.

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Dennis,
By any chance was the update you saw really GM renewing your annual maintenance license? If so is it possible that that caused a resetting of that sometimes problematic User.NET.profile?

Just a thought

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
No that was in November. I'm operating close to the limit of my memory (RAM). Maybe a crash could do it. I don't know I just hope it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the input Jim.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I do not know how many times I tried to use the bolt name function of the hole tool. Every time I tried to use it the bolts name works fine intil I close GM, but when I start editing I part the hole bolt names are gone.

Has any one else have had this pain what we sit on (underside)?

RocketNut

RocketNut said:
I do not know how many times I tried to use the bolt name function of the hole tool. Every time I tried to use it the bolts name works fine intil I close GM, but when I start editing I part the hole bolt names are gone.

Has any one else have had this pain what we sit on (underside)?
RocketNut -- Are you referring to the feature rename function in the Hole Tool tab or are you referring to the alibre_unicode.hps Hole Preset System?

I use the feature rename function in the Hole Tool tab all the time without hiccup. I usually have to start is if I am going add a Hole Preset to get it to load my alibre_unicode.hps values from the C:\Users\Lew\AppData\Roaming\Alibre Design\lew_merrick directory. Why it is located there rather than the "traditional" C:\ProgramData\Alibre Design\System Files is beyond me! With a bit of work, this could be one of the most useful TOOLS in the GMD toolset!

Now, returning to the primary topic at hand...

1) There are user-specific settings such as: screen colors, default coordinate system orientation, operating window type, icon presentation, hotkey definitions, and the like that should be one set of saved and re-loadable data.
2) There are project-specific settings such as: units & precision, dimension types & settings, the various alibre_unicode_custom.xxx files, and the like that should be another set of saved and re-loadable data.

These datasets should be named, stored, and user-backed-up in a simple and easy to understand manner! It just should not be that bloody hard to replace a hard coded filename/path with a user defined filename/path. Placing this information in user-control is, at least from my knothole on the universe, a no-brainer in the good things category...

Ralf

Alibre Super User
No problem at all.
Make your settings --> Enter in a name for your "Preset" -> Press the "Create" button.
-

Attachments

• Presets.png
    Presets.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 258
Ralf,

I may be mistaken (surely a first, right?), but I believe that RocketNut is really interested in the alibre_unicode.hps file. Mine (attached) was created for a large number of hole types. Most all the time (at least since V-2014) loads and operates properly. However, there are times when it fails to operate properly. That usually means exiting GMD and rebooting my computer before it returns.

OK, that's strange, I cannot directly upload a file with the extension hps here! Here it is in a ZIP file.

Attachments

• alibre_unicode.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 6