What's new

Cut a piece into several ones?

Zc@d

Hello, is it possible to cut an object (in assembly or part) into several pieces by choosing where to cut?
Thanks in adance.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What is the intent of the cutting? You can create a cut thru a part with a multi segmented sketch but you still only have one part. If you want a pattern of like parts then a pattern would be the workflow to use.

Here's a cut part:
1694015202799.png

And here's the sketch used for the extrude cut:
1694015260183.png

And here's one of the pieces deleted:
1694015349091.png

Which flavor of Alibre are you using Expert, Pro, or Atom 3D?

Attachments

• cut part sample.AD_PRT
    320 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
You can even get a 'zero' width cut using Extrude Thin Cut : ) Quite handy if you want to split a Face to get two colours on it....

Attachments

• Coloured Block.jpg
    Coloured Block.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Coloured block with split faces.AD_PRT
    273 KB · Views: 4

Zc@d

My goal is to design a central stringer staircase, made of metal sheet, so I need to design it in three parts so it can be manufactured (the maximum size of a metal sheet is 3000 mm and the staircase is more than 6000mm long). I don't think a pattern would be the solution for me because the three parts would be slightly different...

PS: I am using Alibre Pro.
1694067923269.png

Last edited:

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
The quick-and-dirty way would be to model the entire stringer as one piece, Save As 3 copies of it as different files, then add a Cut to each of those 3 files to break the model up into 3 pieces.

More proper way would be to again model the stringer as one piece, add 3 Cut features representing each of the 3 pieces, then use Configurations with a Feature Suppression lock to strategically suppress each of the Cuts until all that was left was the section you're currently interested in.