What's new

Dedicated forum for local user groups?

Should we establish a dedicated forum for local topics?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't care

• Total voters

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Dedicated forum for local user groups?

I am beginning to notice quite a few Alibre Users now share my regional area. The time may be right to start the local group in my area. Others may be seeing clusters of users in their areas too.

I am wondering if a dedicated forum to local user groups would be a good idea. The reason is that I would like to post topics for local interest but don't want to bother the rest of the users. The local post topics could start with the local area. For example: I would post in the local forums section beginning with "Mid TN"

What do you all think?

Please take the poll and give further suggestions on this topic.

indesign

Alibre Super User

Interesting thought for this type of forum. It is nice to know that Alibre has increased it's market to be large enough for a local forum. :D

East TN for me.

mkent

Yes, I wouldn't hurt to try it out. There may be some local work we could discuss. My two cents from the mighty metropolis of Spencer.

cherkey

Perhaps you could start your own local area forum and announce it here? Just throwing out ideas.....
cherkey

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

cherkey said:
Perhaps you could start your own local area forum and announce it here? Just throwing out ideas.....
cherkey

If anyone should be gun shy about "throwing out ideas" that would be me. I seem to have an internet peronality issue at time, taken wrong many times. But oh well, I just shoot straight. That sometimes get me in trouble.

As for the idea of starting our own local forum, that is in the back of my mind -- if we can't get a dedicated forum within this one for local groups (but I don't want to administrate it).

Clarification: The local topics forum would be open to all local groups (not one dedicated forum for each... that would be too many).

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

jwknecht said:
Clarification: The local topics forum would be open to all local groups (not one dedicated forum for each... that would be too many).[/quote

So, a "noticeboard" for local group announcements, job opps. etc. - sounds good to me.

Miles

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

For someone that votes "no", please explain why this is not something we should add. I would like to know what you are thinking.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hey John,

I was one of the "no's".

When I voted, I thought that with a separate forum, people could inadvertedly start discussing problems which would be interesting for all.

It's not that I think local forums would be bad (not at all!), it's just that I thought we are better the way we are.

I think that starting local user groups is a great idea (which could lead to actually meeting other people), I just think the discussion could happen here so users don't have to choose where to seek help (at the local or general forum). I personally wouldn't mind seeing subjects about a group gathering or job offers in a certain area.

So, to summarize, my "no" wasn't because I think a local forum shouldn't happen, I just think those discussions could happen right here. :D

By the way, every time we meet at our office, its like the grand gathering of the mexican user group (as far as I know, its only us) 8) (the sun glasses are because out of my window its sunny and bright, probably around 20ºC. Just thought some of you north living friends may want to know)

mkent

Why couldn't the "Local Forums" be just another sub-group of this forum? Then you could read it or not.

indesign

Alibre Super User

A sub forum would be required for each area and this would make a forum like this general discussion very crowded.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Probably starting the discussion for a particular "regional user group" in a separate section. If it does get too crowded, then move it up to a separate forum...

Whichever the decision, I do think that RUG's are a great idea.

rbrian

Re:

Gaspar said:
Probably starting the discussion for a particular "regional user group" in a separate section. If it does get too crowded, then move it up to a separate forum...
Whichever the decision, I do think that RUG's are a great idea.
jwknecht said:
Clarification: The local topics forum would be open to all local groups (not one dedicated forum for each... that would be too many).
So between the threads here - I am guessing - that - a place in the Alibre forum - but separate - like the current 'Alibre Consultant Program' segment - listed as something like - Regional and Local Alibre User Groups with sub sections like
  • Meetings;
    Events;
    Local Market Concerns; etc. ( Sorry - ran out of ideas there! {Please add more})
In Meetings would be info on Local or Regional User Groups Schedules and frequency; while in Events - might go topics of a broader nature - like - Showcases, Public Venues, etc. and in Local Market Concerns - issues that affect - say - Mexico, or The South (Storm Ravaged Areas), or Eastern Seaboard Growth in Industry, or UK CAD Market, - or what not!

Am I on the right track here? Am I getting warm? Robert