What's new

Default axis orientation seems odd to me.

Ranma 1/2

I'm new to Alibre, and to the forum, I really like what it can do, but I'm finding it hard getting used to the way the planes and axes are labeled on the view cube.
I'm used to how my machines are, Front is X axis is pointing left and right, Y is pointing towards and away, and Z is up and down.
But the view cube front gives me Y is up and down and Z is towards and away, is there a way changing the way it's labeled?
I have Alibre design pro V26.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Unfortunately, no. Those of us who use Alibre to design and produce parts on milling machines, 3d printers, etc have been asking for a way to modify the default axes orientation for awhile.

Maybe someday.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of default conventions in CAD software in general.

A vertical mill is only one example of a machine tool co-ordinate system - very different if working on a lathe or boring machine.

There is no single 'correct' orientation.

jroy

A vertical mill is only one example of a machine tool co-ordinate system - very different if working on a lathe or boring machine.

There is no single 'correct' orientation.
Ok, you are right, but that also makes AD's orientation convention not correct for everybody. A choice of Z_UP or Y_UP would be really nice and long overdue (enhancement request EN-408).
All the other CADs I know and used were giving me a choice, those are the days.

;) I'm not holding my breath over this, don't worry, be happy...

philr_77378

There is no single 'correct' orientation

Ex Machina

I have said this on another thread but I will repeat it here. What is the difference to design it Z-up if the view cube doesn't label it as top. You are the designer you do what you want. If you design the part with Z-up it will be brought in the 3D printer slicer or the CAM software with the Z up.

I want to stress, it is not like Solidworks where you do not have a definition of the axes. In Alibre it is not front, top, etc. The planes are labeled XY,YZ, and ZX. So we can clearly choose how to design something. The Z-up, Y-up option in Solidworks is because the planes are not named after the axes.

If you want your part to have the Z axis up, just design it to have the bottom on the XY plane. Simple.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I deal with this all the time because Marmoset, Dynamo and Rhino are Z-up.
For certain designs I:
- model or import a part [ twists2.ad_prt ] how I want ignoring the built-in reference geometry. I make the reference geometry for my design.
- Create an assembly for Z-up [ twists.ad_asm ] and position the model [ twists2.ad_prt ] to be in the correct orientation to match another coordinate system.
- I also use scripts to help setup parts and assemblies.

The exported assembly will match the orientation needed.

1703859490746.png

When working inside the assembly Alibre will maintain the view and orientation correctly during in-place part editing. The assembly is only used to reorient the model.

1703861175551.png
1703861276125.png

When I export the assembly to render, It will be oriented correctly.