What's new

Defining a path along an iregular edge

TimB

Hi

The end result I want is to add a rib around the edge of this piece to add rigidity

Making a sweep seems the right idea but not sure exactly how to make the path follow the edge.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Attachments

• capture 1.JPG
    capture 1.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 48

kev h

Hi Tim

Would a thin wall extrude work with a couple rads after maybe be simpler method?

Cheers Kev 8)

TimB

Thanks Kev

I need actually to extrude out the profile "thin wall extrude" is from looking at the manual a cut operation.

Further back in the process I do a shell on a surface to get the same thickness all over but even then a thin wall .. would not work.

Any correction further pointers etc appreciated.

Tim

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Tim, you can usually use edges as path objects for sweeps. The profile sketch must touch the path or it won't work at all.

TimB

I have tried using the edge as a path but it just produces errors

I need to be able to generate a 3d path separately I think

TimB

David

I saw your post after I wrote my last post.

It was as you said that the sketch was not exactly touching the path.

Thanks

Tim

H-L-Smith

Can you upload your part? It would be nice to see how you made the part we are seeing.

I'm trying to figure out where the little squiggly lines come from. How about an indication of what you'd like to have as your rib structure?

Cheers,

AndrewTing

say if you need a 3mm rib.

perhaps you can try extruding 3mm more on the side you want the rib, then do a extrude cut on the surface with a sketch of 6mm smaller than the outer profile. Finally, do a 3mm fillet on the 2 edges.