What's new

DELL studio 1749 rocks with V12.1

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
I bought a new PC not for CAD use but for web surfing and Video, picture storage.
But it seems that this inexpensive PC works just fine for Alibre.
Windows 7 64bits with ATI graphic board does great work.

Saving as Alibre file still takes good amount of time, though. :?

The PC was 100,000 yen. Currently $1,200 but this is just because of the currency exchange rate.
Inspiron 1720 cost me 160,000yen and does less efficient work with CoreDuo.
Now this PC has Core i5 which has four CPUs. And I didn't even bother putting more than 4Gig because I needed a cheap laptop, not heavy duty PC.

I think Alibre rocks with Windows 7 64bits. :wink:

Attachments

• 2010-10-24_165224.png
    2010-10-24_165224.png
    159 KB · Views: 179

Frank

Hello Toshi,

I have had a look around UK sources for a graphics oriented machine [on a strict budget]

The best spec I could see for the cash available was an Acer Aspire [laptop portability essential]
Intel pentium 2.2ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4570
Windows 7 64bit conf home edition.

Just bought one [My woes with a largeish sketch handling error on the inspiron 1525 are on the forums elsewhere]- [small assemblies work ok - larger and complex parts -unstable - crash bluescreen]. I really hope this helps!
I Intend to use present Dell inspiron 1525 system until I can prep the acer m/c with AE 2011.

I see that your new machine is configured with the widows 7 OS.
I have never used W7.
I have Vista ultimate loaded on my Dell inspiron.

Would it be worthwhile swopping the two operating systems. ie run Vista Ultimate on the Acer system?

Caution - Acer uses the description "Acer Aspire 5732Z" as the specifying number for the spec above but unfortunately uses the same number for other machines which look the same but with less ram , no"dedicated graphics" smaller HDs etc. I was lucky? to spot the one I have purchased "on the resellers shelf"- couldnt see it on the resellers website.

Success with your system Toshi

BTW -Downloaded 2011 Manual- this rev [2011] really pushes Allibre along apiece IMO. It just has to do what it says on the tin now.Looks terrific.

Best regards
Frank G

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Right now, we cannot run 2011 unless one registered while the beta test was on going.
So, I doubt I could check if V2011 can be installed.

But V12.1 with my CoCreate originated model with 500 over unique 1500 parts model could rather easily spit out the 2D drawing with hidden lines of everything.

I could never, actually, do this one any of my existing machine with Alibre.
This was amazing fact that Alibre would do good job as far as the Microsoft platforms are doing fine, that's what I am speculating.

It's been unfortunate for Alibre while not so great performance systems are commonly used.
But today, inexpensive CPU such as Core i5 is easily obtained with $1,000 range, together with Windows 7 64 bits and it normally upgrade RAM to 4Gig without extra charge when DELL is boosting her marketing with their price down dose.

You'll get larger assembly run on these system with fair performance.

I doubt this could be done with CoreDuo or less. Since I struggled with CoreDuo at my office with Alibre and I was least impressed with the performance.
Only, CoCreate PE could easily handle the larger assembly on 2D. Not Alibre.
Even today. The time length to show hidden picture with Alibre is somewhat ten folds longer than CoCreate.
You could easily check the performance difference between these two since PE is free of charge.
Please don't take my observation as an offence against Alibre.
CoCreate is one of the Mega CAD. And PE only disables some features and the software is the exact same product as they provide their customers who paid $10,000 or over.

While Alibre is this price, and it, at least, starts to be working fine on the Windows 7 64bits.
Once V2011 is released we are going to get 64bits version of Alibre, so I bet it's better than today.

Again, I didn't buy this inexpensive PC for CAD use. Only for my wife's pleasure use.

I guess the Odds might have changed thanks to Windows 7 64bits. Now we might be able to rely on Alibre a lot more than current, I might presume.
:|