What's new

Diameter Dimension for Revolve

jfleming

Alibre Super User
When Creating a sketch for a revolved part, it's most often easiest to dimension the diameter of the part, not the radius. Is there a way to do that? See attached. Seems like something basic that I probably missed, but I've been using this software for 7 years now and i've never seen or discovered a way.

Attachments

• dia.JPG
    dia.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 15

JST

Alibre Super User
It's in the degrees of rotation.

Draw the diameter profile, use 180 instead of 360 degrees.

If you want to draw the radial profile and use the diameter to dimension, that seems as if you will have nothing "solid" to apply the dimension to.

lamar

The screen shot attached is how I would do it. but do whatever works best for you. I use a reference line and constrain it in the center to the origin.

Attachments

• 2020-05-14 11_06_11-New Part (1) - Alibre Design Expert.png
    2020-05-14 11_06_11-New Part (1) - Alibre Design Expert.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 19

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I'm with @bigseb, I just type "diameter/2" and let Alibre do the rest! It makes more sense (and it's quicker!) to me than creating extra reference lines/points. You could always create a parameter 'boss diameter' or whatever it is and then use "boss diameter/2" in the sketch. The true diameter isn't really relevant until you dimension in a 2D drawing. If you have a method for doing it, just be consistent in all your models and you'll understand what it means IF you ever go back and edit it (in which case your better using a named global parameter anyway).

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I rough draw a half profile and then mirror the lines around the centre then convert the new set to reference and then dimension between them.