What's new

Diameter Dimension Style

gwbruce

I am running V23 of Alibre Design Expert and have a question regarding diameter dimensions on a drawing. I like to use a diameter dimension that looks like a leader but is an actual dimension with only one arrow pointing to the edge of a hole or OD of a bar. I did some searching and found a process from Giecon.nl way back in 2013.

1637340272676.png
I followed his instructions and it works to give me what I want. So I created a dimension style to do this for me. Only one problem, I can't get the suppression of the second extension line to repeat. I place my dimension then go to change it to my new diameter style and it changes but doesn't suppress the second extension line. I then have to go back in manually and suppress the extension line. Am I doing something wrong or missing something? It would really be great if I could get the new diameter dimension style to do the second extension line suppression on its own.

Anyone got any ideas or help on this?

Thanks,
GWB

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
First, thanks for pointing out how to set up a single arrow diameter setting. I've always wanted one but just haven't taken the time to figure it out.

I see the problem is that if you edit the dimension properties and create a new style from within the drawing edit session you have access to line and arrow suppression.
LineSuppression in Edit Mode.png

However, when you create a new style, or edit one, from the Dimension Styles dialog there is no line and arrow suppression available.
LineSuppression Not In DimStyles.png

Unless someone can show how this is done in Dim Styles I say this is a bug or oversight for not including line and arrow suppression in the Dimension Styles dialog.

There is an extra step you need to take when setting the diameter to a single arrow setting. That is to switch to the single arrow style then edit the style and apply the suppression. One other setting you need to make and save in the Dimension Styles dialog is to set the arrows position to Outside for the single arrow style. Remember to recheck your other styles to be sure they are not set to arrows outside if you did not intend for them to be set as such.

Last edited:

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Interesting that this topic came up. I only recently discovered the "Line Suppression" function and was planning to add a dimension style specifically for this. Good to know that it is not possible, although it should be.

And I'll reiterate my support for a 2D drawings focused update, maybe V25 will be it. #praying