What's new

Dimension a DIA on a detail view

Hi all,

I have a view which shows a step on the part. I've given it a detail view, increased the scale and positioned on the sheet. I then want to dimension the diameters. I thought I'll add a centre line and then dimension to that, then overide the dimension with the figure it should be. Not really knowing if there is a proper way to do this type of thing?

Anyway, the results are shown on the attached image. Clicking inside the view and selecting centre lines gives me a centre line but seemingly not the correct middle? When I try and dimension from the edge to the centre line I get what is shown. I've added what the diameter should be so you can see it's a way off.
Something doesn't seem to be displaying properly? I can bodge it for the purpose of getting the drawing done but anyone have any ideas, or a way of picking up that diameter properly in the detail view?

Cheers

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 33
Just to add to this, the parts were an imported stp file.
I've set up a file now and it behaves differently. To get the rad in the detail view, I've needed to move the detail circle past the centre line so it updates and appears in the detail view. Dimension from centreline to outside face to get the rad dimension.
Then move the circle back again away from the centre line in the parent view.

Attachments

• IMAGE1.png
    IMAGE1.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 14

gwbruce

Have you tried using a Foreshortened dimension. I can't remember exactly how they work in Alibre as I haven't used one in a while.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I managed this by dimensioning the projected 85mm line in the detail view, then suppressing half of the dimension and extension lines and setting arrows outside. Finally had to add the ø symbol as a prefix to the dimension. Perhaps not ideal, but there are tools in Alibre that allow you do most 'non-common' dimensions with a little creativity.

Detail.jpg

I was trying to figure out how to suppress half the dimension line, where is it please?
Yeah I've no issues doing a bit of jiggery pokery but I would say there is something abnormal about dimensions on imported parts. I've known this in other software, like the centre line thing