What's new

Dimension Linking

I am a current and former user of Inventor and one feature I really like that Alibre doesn't have is when dimension a model you can just click on a dimension that's already up and they become linked as opposed to going into the f(x) button and linking it to that specific Dimension.

Does anyone know if there is a way Alibre can do this or if its coming on some future iteration. SW also does this.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
No it can't do it now. As to whether or not it will be coming you'd have to ask the Alibre Team. Or make a suggestion by clicking the 'Suggest A Feature' button on the forum home page.

Eric: (1) Under File Properties->Dimension set Show Equation to on. (2) If the dimension you want to reference is (say) D29, then set the Value of your new dimension to D29 -- and they will be "linked."

Sebastian -- It does not work that well in Inventor. It is like anything else, if you can plan it out ahead of time (and assign an Equation Editor variable ID to it beforehand) is works a lot better (something I do all the time). I can, using that approach, give values sensible names to use as needed. Add in the Global Project Variables ability that Alibre has and your scope becomes much broader!

Because of the nomenclature used internally by the Equation Editor. names with an ASCII/Unicode value less than that of "A" (capitol A) generally show up at the "top" of Equation Editor listings. That is why my most commonly used values get assigned names starting with "a0a0_" and those with (shall we say) lessor utility aget assigned names beginning with "a0a1_," a0a2_," and the like. Thus, in my Parts List documentation I have a list if each Part or Assembly Equation Editor value as well as those defined at the Project Variable level.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I am a current and former user of Inventor and one feature I really like that Alibre doesn't have is when dimension a model you can just click on a dimension that's already up and they become linked as opposed to going into the f(x) button and linking it to that specific Dimension.
Just quoting the OP. I don't use Inventor.

This is an area that would benefit greatly from (A) a more detailed and indexed "User's Guide," and (B) the active use of "On-line Forums" to discuss the nature and needs developing around the availability of User-Defined Variables (both Local and Project). Should there be interest, I would be happy to create a GoToMeeting to start the ball rolling (and, hopefully, get the pot boiling).

I can only give my opinion Lew, I have used inventor for 5-7yrs now on a daily basis in industry and never had any problems with its dimension linking feature. It does work well in Inventor and Solidworks. I used to do some very complex assemblies/parts. Now its much simpler parts in Alibre.

Eric: (1) Under File Properties->Dimension set Show Equation to on. (2) If the dimension you want to reference is (say) D29, then set the Value of your new dimension to D29 -- and they will be "linked."

Sebastian -- It does not work that well in Inventor. It is like anything else, if you can plan it out ahead of time (and assign an Equation Editor variable ID to it beforehand) is works a lot better (something I do all the time). I can, using that approach, give values sensible names to use as needed. Add in the Global Project Variables ability that Alibre has and your scope becomes much broader!
I am looking at it from a time savings/keystroke reduction. I feel your solution giving variables names, and places in the equation editor is nothing but time consuming when I want to link 4 bolt holes to the same starting point. etc. There is no value (for me) to name dimensions etc, nothing we manufacture requires that complexity. I just want to be faster at this point although I do see value in what you are saying, I just don't think it fits my need.

At this point the best solution for me is to turn on the variables (which never stays on for some reason) and manually type the DXX every single time. Not efficient.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I am looking at it from a time savings/keystroke reduction...

There is no value (for me) to name dimensions etc, nothing we manufacture requires that complexity....

I just want to be faster at this point...

... manually type the DXX every single time. Not efficient....

AMEN TO THAT!!

Eric and jfleming -- If you cannot be bothered to plan our or annotate your work, the Inventor probably is the toolset you want to use.

Eric and jfleming -- If you cannot be bothered to plan our or annotate your work, the Inventor probably is the toolset you want to use.

Its not about being bothered, I make models and annotate my manufacturing drawings. Its a waste of time for me in my application to go through all that trouble when all I want to do is sequence a bunch of holes/slots/etc to a same dimension.

It would be a useful feature for those of us that desire it. I'd prefer to use Inventor but in a small business its cost prohibitive and Alibre is a solid package just has some nuances.

JST

Alibre Super User

There are many issues when using Alibre as a design tool, and not merely a documentation tool for items that are already designed.

And in that useage, one plans one thing, and then finds the design must go a different direction due to new requirements, or a better idea, etc.