What's new

Dimension Text Justification ?

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Is there a way to force the justification of dimension text for multi-line dimensions? These always look odd to me when you add any type of information to the dimensions. Example attached.

Or perhaps there is a different way to "cheat" around it???

If not, it should be added as an improvement on future 2D drawing module overhaul.

Attachments

• dimension justification.JPG
    dimension justification.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 18

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
When I type in 'lower text' for the dimensions, it is always left justified.

Did you add the R in the prefix box, rather than use radial dimensioning on the edge?

DimTextJust.jpg

What would you want to see as the behaviour ?

jfleming

Alibre Super User
When I type in 'lower text' for the dimensions, it is always left justified.

Did you add the R in the prefix box, rather than use radial dimensioning on the edge?

View attachment 34604

What would you want to see as the behaviour ?

In my example I would like it to be Right Justified, so the actual dimension value is close to the leader line not over away from it out in space?

As for the R value, I suppose I could re-dimension it to the curved edge of the undercut and it would solve that, however this is similar to the other dimension, in that I would simply like it all to be Left Justified.

long and short of it is, if the dimension is placed off to the left side, it should be right justified and if the dimension is placed off to the right side, it should be left justifed. It just looks better that way

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Here is a good example of that. A common note that I'll add on things.

Attachments

• CENTER.JPG
    CENTER.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 18

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
So left justified if in the middle or to the right. Right justified if to the left.

It'll be interesting to see if other users have any opinion on this - both the presentation, and whether it should happen automatically, or be a manual toggle.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Something else that would make adding text to dimensions easier is to enlarge the text box or have if auto-enlarge as you add the text. It is a bit of a challenge to add multi-line text under the dimension if you cannot see what or how it is being formatted.

multi-line dim text.png

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Yes. Notes too. I often export 1:1 flat patterns (of parts 60"x120" for example) as dwg. Trying to create visible (when the entire part is in frame) text with a WYSIWYG editor when is useless.

sz0k30

Something else that would make adding text to dimensions easier is to enlarge the text box or have if auto-enlarge as you add the text. It is a bit of a challenge to add multi-line text under the dimension if you cannot see what or how it is being formatted.

View attachment 34623
Yes! Just another example of so many small annoying things.