What's new

Dimension to T.S.C.

Jim T.

Can anyone explain to me how to dimension to a Theoretical Sharp Corner.
Example is when you have two lines that form a corner but is not a 90* corner or when a non-horizontal or vertical line has been filleted and now you want to dimension to what was a sharp corner before you placed a fillet.
I don't want to dimension to the radius surface, but to the sharp corner that existed before the fillet was added.

Thanks,

Jim

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Jim,

Please take a look:

In a 2D Drawing
Insert a Point and a dimension

2D-Drawing.jpg

2D-Drawing-2.jpg

Last edited:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Or in a 2D Sketch -3D Part
Insert a Node (2D Sketchpoint or 2D Point)

Insert-a-point-1.jpg

and 2D Constraints and dimensions:

Insert-a-point-2.jpg

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Not a 90* corner or when a non-horizontal or vertical line
You can use the Intersection Constraint:

Inters-Constraint.jpg

Just an example:
(The dimensions are only to show the point can be used.)

Inters-Constraint-2.jpg

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Also in a 2D Sketch in a 3D Part:
Insert a Node and use the Intersection Constraint:
intersection-constr.jpg

Jim T.

Thanks Ralf, I've got a few more questions, if you don't mind?

In all of the examples that you show above the two lines are 90*. I assume you're using the orthagonal tracing feature to extend the lines to an intersection, then drop the point on that intersection?
The last example is using two lines that are not 90* to each other, but you are creating the point in the sketch of the feature of a part? When this example provides you the correct dimension, how do you get it into the drawing? Do you "reproject design dimensions" on the view that you pick in the drawing for the dimension to show? It is my understanding that using design dimensions in the drawing is not the preferred method, rather dimensions are to be created while in the drawing. If that is the case, what do you select in the drawing in order to get the desired dimension to show?

I know, lots of questions.

Thanks, Jim

jfleming

Alibre Super User
In drawing mode, there is a "Theoretical Intersection Button" which lets you choose the 2 lines. It creates a "Selectable" point that you can dimension to/from. The display of the Theoretical intersection can be changed in Settings.

TI.png

prop.png

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, you did not describe in your first question where you want to set the intersection point.

In my examples I have shown you different examples of how it works in the 3D Part - 2D Sketch
and in 2D Drawings. Some examples with lines in 90 degree angle and some not in 90 degree angle.
Just to show how it could be helpful for you.

Non 90 degree
#4 - 2D Drawing
#5 - 3D Part -> 2D Sketch

+++

Jason has also posted a Feature -> Theoretical Intersection in 2D Drawings and the settings.

Theo-Inters.jpg

It is probably more helpful to upload a sample file and ask specific questions to get helpful detailed answers.

Last edited: