What's new

Dimple on a Bend?

Hi Larry,

The nature of the Sheetmetal module is to create operational paths for a modern CNC metalworker and not closing die-set operations. [As I started out as a Tool & Die machinist making (among other things) compound, progressive, and compound-progressive die-sets, it is still a "mindset" that leads me into design traps.] A part with the dimple you have laid out is going to have to be made on some type of closing die-set as otherwise the "dimple" would collapse during the fold (bend) operation.

Somebody else may know a "trick" around this, but the above is my take on things...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Larry,
Ribs that traverse bends and gussets are features that need to be created using Part Modeling techniques. Here is an image of a gusset I did some time ago as a Boolean feature. There are two configs in the part so the gusset can be suppressed for the flat pattern.

I attached a package file of the part, hopefully you can open it to see how the part was created.

Attachments

• arm1.png
    arm1.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 17
  • arm1.AD_PKG
    343.9 KB · Views: 6
  • arm1_flat.png
    arm1_flat.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 13

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I had a couple minutes so I thought I'd work up another example. In case anyone has problems opening the package file here's a short description of the process I used.
Just like my previous example this part has two configurations. Before I created the Flat Pattern config I inserted an Unbend, cut and mirrored a slot for the rib then inserted a Rebend. I then renamed Config<1> to Formed and created the Flat Pattern config. I found it is easier to Lock All configs prior to creating the Flat Pattern config. I checked Select All for the lock options for the Flat Pattern config. I then made the Formed config active and inserted the Boolean Unite and added and suppressed an Unbend. Then I activated the Flat Pattern config and suppressed the Design Boolean and the slot cut. Then I cycled through the configs a couple of times t make sure everything suppressed and unsuppressed as needed.

A note on the rib parts: It was a profile Sweep with a square corner and revolves on the ends. The bend radii were fillets to match the inside and outside bend radii of the sheet metal.

And here's a package file:

Attachments

• ribbed bracket_formed.png
    ribbed bracket_formed.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 19
  • ribbed bracket_flat.png
    ribbed bracket_flat.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 146
  • ribbed bracket.AD_PKG
    190.8 KB · Views: 9