What's new

Dimple or Project Sketch to Face & 3D Subtract / Split Bodies

DBC

I am modeling a plastic water bottle and I am having trouble with a few surface details. Sorry for all items in one post but they are all related.

1. First I created a s design using 2 splines by control points. Add 2 tangential circles and tried to trim to slot. Trim tool does not work on the splines. It just trims the whole spline or the whole circle. Is this a limitation of splines in Alibre? See first 3 attached images.

2. Is there a way to project a profile on to a curved circle to create a raised or sunk dimple. In the attached image, I had to extrude through the shell of the body and then revolve an outer and inner profile around the body to make it conform to the shape of the bottle. It was lots of hassle and didn't give me a true dimple inside and out. See 4th attached image.

3. I want to create a part that is the liquid in the bottle. What I would typically do in TurboCAD is put a box around the bottle to the desired height and then 3D subtract the bottle from the box. Then I would split the two bodies and delete the outside leaving the inside shape as a separate body. Can one separate bodies in Alibre? See 5th and 6th attached images.

Attachments

• Screen-0015.jpg
    Screen-0015.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen-0016.jpg
    Screen-0016.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen-0017.jpg
    Screen-0017.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen-0018.jpg
    Screen-0018.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen-0019.jpg
    Screen-0019.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen-0020.jpg
    Screen-0020.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 27

DBC

Found answer to my 3rd question. I always forget that all the tools are not on the ribbons. Have to press Alt to bring up menus.

Attachments

• Screen-0021.jpg
    Screen-0021.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 18

DBC

Well, enough farting around with this bottle. I couldn't find a setting for the outside plastic that would allow the specular or diffuse to keep the inside of the label area so black. I tried all kinds of color changes on specular and difuse settings for the plastic, but it just made the overall affect much worse. I will maybe try again at a later date.

Attachments

• Water Bottle Assembly 1 DBC_1200.png
    Water Bottle Assembly 1 DBC_1200.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 30

DBC

Don't know if anyone is interested, but I exported the Alibre file to STP format. Opened in TurboCAD and the file was a mess (thanks to the newly improved STP. SAT, IGS, OBJ file filters in TurboCAD - here's to hoping they get fixed.....). At any rate, I then opened the STP file in MoI and reexported back to STP. This time it opened in TurboCAD. I went ahead and rendered the Alibre model there with LightWorks. Result is attached.

Attachments

• Water Bottle Alibre - MoI - TC DBC_1200.png
    Water Bottle Alibre - MoI - TC DBC_1200.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 22

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Which build did you export from? - build 20055 fixed some issues with export of specific geometry to STEP.