What's new

Direct Dimensioning of Features

Direct Dimensioning of Features

Is it possible to directly dimension or size a feature, like a circle for example, before ending the command?

Currently, when I sketch a circle, even if I know what exact diameter I want it to be, I have to just draw a generic circle, or get it close to the desired diameter, and then go back and edit the dimension to make it the exact diameter that I want it to be.

Am I missing something?

I guess some of my old AutoCad habits are hanging on. I really liked having the "snap" function that I could set to the whatever increment that I wanted - usually I set it to 1/32" (0.03125") - and have the coordinate display readout "1.1250@90*", so that when I completed drawing the circle, line, etc., it was finished to the desired dimension - in this case 1.125" Radius or Diameter, depending on which option I had chosen.

Thanks in advance! :D

indesign

Alibre Super User

Well...yes and no.

Yes you can click the 'direct entry' button to enter the center position then the radius (use the relative to input radius). Or either one of them and not the other.

The trouble is this does not put the value into the equation editor. You can still apply a dimension to it later though.

Re:

indesign said:
Well...yes and no.

Yes you can click the 'direct entry' button to enter the center position then the radius (use the relative to input radius). Or either one of them and not the other.

The trouble is this does not put the value into the equation editor. You can still apply a dimension to it later though.

BUMMER! :(

But thanks for the reply! :)

It's not the "End of the World" or anything. It would just go along a little better with the way my mind works.