What's new

Disappearing Dialog Boxes

robdavis

Disappearing Dialog Boxes

I have recently upgraded to V10 (delayed upgrade due to contractors running Express 9.2).

I frequently find the Dialog boxes disappear with some bits appearing and more bits appearing as you click your mouse on them – I often close the Dialog Box and start again– very annoying.

One of my contractors with V10 is experiencing the same problem.

Are others experiencing this problem? I don’t believe it has been raised previously in the Forum.

skeller

I am having the same problem with dialog boxes disappearing or only being partially visible. For example: If you have the constraints box open and you leave the box to change the view it will sometime completely disappear or only partially. If you move your mouse over where it was it will sometimes come back. Its a major pain in the rump!

I am running on XP sp2, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 6600, with dual nVidia video cards (not using SLI).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

indesign

Alibre Super User

It really sounds like a video card driver. COuld you check for new releases? Also post what drivers you use.

skeller

I have updated the nVidia driver.
Old Version: 6.14.10.9371
New Version: 6.14.11.6371

It looks like that might have solved it. I will working with it for the next couple of hours and report back. (Sometime the problem didn't show up for an hour or two of working in Alibre.)

Thanks for the help,
Steve

robdavis

I am using Alibre on a Dell Inspiron 9400, 2GB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Video, 1920x1200 Resolution. Reducing resolution does not solve problem.

While it might be display/video card related, it was not a problem prior to V10 and is therefore an upgrade issue.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Hi, I have posted this a while ago.
http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5950
Is this similar to what you all have?
This kind of annoyances appear with the other desktop PC I have too. Every time I see it, I redo the same to show the dialog, or I shrink the workspace so that the dialog can be placed out of part area. Or if the dialog has tab, reslectioin on other tab will show the dialog even if the dialog is overlapped with the work space.

This I believe started with V10..... I seem to remember.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

BTW, the poll result shows only 20% of us have this issue.... what makes the difference?
And I have one laptop which does not show this nasty symptom. The laptop is nothing special and it is old, like 4years old.

The one I posted picture is also a laptop 8 years old with 256Mbyte RAM. And CoCreate Personal Edition is working perfectly but slowly.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
Re:

aa28 said:
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Alibre?

I'll try and take Ryan's question a bit further... are these upgrades, or are these clean installs (removing the old version first)?

indesign

Alibre Super User

No problems like that here.

Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
Default settings
Nvidia Desktop manager V120.02
Bios Version 5.73.22.40.52
Driver Version 6.14.11.6218
3D settings are set to let application decide.
1280x1024 resolution
Full hardware ecceleration

I could list the Nvidia settings if it could help but they should be default.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

robdavis said:
it was not a problem prior to V10 and is therefore an upgrade issue.

Well not quite that clear. The upgraded version may use features of a driver the older version did not. Since this can be very complicated that is the reason the first question is asked about having the latest drivers.

Kinda like a new version of Windows. New graphics drivers may contain new features not previously used. This is also why some graphics programs may work on one system while others do not. (not the only reason but one of them)

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Re:

aa28 said:
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Alibre?
Yes, I did it at least once for V10SP1.
But I cannot be so much assured now because it is under repair, they are replacing mother board.

robdavis

I am a rusted on Alibre user and put up with it with increasing frustration.

New users who experience this problem will walk away.

It must be costing Alibre many sales.

It might be hardware related but Alibre must find a solution to problem.

I am looking forward to V10.2 where this problem is fixed.

cherkey

Guess I'll chime in....yes, I've been seeing this too...I thought it was related to x64 so I just let it go, with the anticipation of 64bit being more widely used. Well, I guess it's not just a x64 thing...

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I just discovered this thread.
I have been having the same problem with the dialog boxes since V10.1. It isn't just the dialog boxes, sometimes the popup menus disapear too. IF you move the mouse over a valid menu option, then it will repear.

My Machine is a Dell Precision 470 with Dual 3.2Xeons, 2G Ram, NVidia Quadro 3400 GC.