What's new

disappearing faces

jbeard

disappearing faces

Anyone else have issues with faces of models sometimes disappearing? It seems to happen to me in assemblies and rather often unfortunately. It will be one part in particular, of the assembly and it won't be all the faces on that part that disappear. The only way to select a missing face (if wanting to apply a constraint say) is to use the design explorer.

Any ideas? I have tried many computers when this happens and they all seem to repeat it. But then at the same time, occassionally it will just go away. Other times I have redrawn the part in question (if simple geometry) and had it fix it.

Thanks,
Jamie

mr.ska

I've seen that issue on my computer, and others in my office. When that happens to a part, I typically try opening that part in a separate window, but it always appears correctly, but stays messed up in the assembly. I haven't opened an issue about it with Alibre Support yet. Anyone else?

Willbur

I've seen this too (but haven't opened a support incident yet) and it seems to happen randomly in assemblies (it happens to a random part, but if it happens it will happen when you open the assembly) - I don't remember ever seeing this before v8. :roll: What I've found works fairly well as a workaround is to right-click on the part in the design explorer and Edit Part/Subassembly. The part will then generally show up normally (with all of the faces). Regenerate the part and then return to the top-level assembly and all should be well. If it happens again, I'll start an incident - but that doesn't mean the rest of you can't as well....

A

Anonymous

Yep, I have seen this also. I notice it mostly when I leave an assembly open for some time w/out using it. When I go back to work on it some faces are missing. I found that by closing and then reopening the faces reappear.

scarr

Re: Missing Faces

I've had this problem too. Always inside an assembly. I've used the same technique of opening the individual part and then going back to editing the assembly. More of a nusince than anything else, but it would be nice to know why it's happening. It can't be a platform or graphics card problem as I'm sure we're all running different configurations, so it has to be something internal to the application.

blaplant1

I have had this problem too. All the way back to V6. I have reported the problem and have been sent the regimented video setting, which didn’t fix the problem. On other CAD systems ,I have used, there is a screen refresh icon that fixes the screen appearance when these types of problems accrue. I have asked about a screen refresher icon enhancement and haven’t got a response. :(

jbeard

My thoughts are now that most all the bugs in v8 that plague me the most stem from model regeneration in one form or another. For instance, not all assembly constraints updating for patterned parts or spreadsheet driven subassemblies not updating until a couple presses of the regen button.

Jamie

cherkey

OK, I'll jump in...Nope, I haven't seen this. But, now that the topic is out there, I'm sure I'll start seeing it now..you now how that goes... :p
Chris

marm37co

Change version can fix the problem

I have this problem too, with assemblies. To regen the part in assemblies, I close the assembly, Open the part with the faces hides in the assembly and save a new version (for example change the color propierties). When I open the assembly again, Alibre confirm the update of the version, regen the part and this fix the problem. With parts I open a preliminar version, save and then open again the last version.

A button to regen parts directly is a good idea.

horizon1

OK, its happening to me now. Its not just in assembley its also in the drawing, missing a few lines or the whole drawing. Is says it there in the explore window but not on the drawing. I know the last post was a while back but does anyone still have this problame? Or did they get the bug worked out?

jemmej

I've got a connector on the board and it WON'T regenerate (although I haven't tried the whole reversioning trick). It's always missing faces in the assembly. I even created a new assembly with the same part and THAT assembly has the problem too. So, it seems to be part specific, but only related to assembly displaying.

I'll agree with previous sentiment, most of the bugs I've found deal with assembly regeneration and constraints.

Jim

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hi Jim,

Have you tried opening that single part from within the assembly (right click and edit without shift) and then just going back to the original assembly?

I hope this helps. It works for me every time.

jemmej

Thanks Gaspar! I thought I'd done that before. Apparently, I'd just opened the part in a separate window.

Jim

steved

Missing faces

I get this problem frequently if the model is left alone for more than a couple of minutes, I always find that I can regenerate by minimising the screen to the default opening size and then maximising again to fully regenerate the image this fix also works in 2D to regenerate the node from squares back to dots.

Cheers

Steved UK

jemmej

I think what you are talking about is a different phenomenon Steve. This missing face issue, does not get fixed in the way you describe. That is more of a screen rendering issue. This is more of an engine rendering issue.

In your case, the videocard frame buffer needs "flushed". In our case, whatever "buffer" the AD engine uses needs "flushed" as well. A similar type of isssue (it seems anyway) but not exactly the same, at least, its not in my case.

Thanks for posting the info though!

Jim