What's new

Disappearing thread information after Boolean Combine

chiefshoe

I may have discovered an issue in the Boolean Feature.

I modeled two parts to be combined using the Boolean Combine Feature. One of the two parts had 2 threaded holes. Upon completing a successful "Boolean Combine" using the part with the 2 threaded holes as the "Tool" and the other part as the "Blank", the thread information and thread representation was not included with the new Boolean part. I made a DWG of the Boolean Part and the DWG displayed the Hole as specified in the Hole Feature (correct O.D. and drilled) but again no thread information.

I Then switched the parts in the "Boolean Combine" and used the threaded part as the "Blank" and the other part as the "Tool". After completing "Boolean Combine", the thread information and thread representation was then included with this new Boolean part.

This seems very odd that the Feature handles information about "Blanks" and "Tools" differently.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I just taking a WAG here.

Check the design explorer and note the features listed there. I think the reason the hole info doesn't show up when the threaded part is used as the Tool is because it is "absorbed" into the Boolean feature. When the parts are reversed is the hole feature listed in the design explorer above the Design Boolean feature? If it is then maybe that's why it shows on the drawing because it is not "absorbed" into the Boolean. It could be an "order of operations" issue.

chiefshoe

Attached are the part files I am using -
Swing Arm2 is the "Blank"
Flange is the "Tool"
Swing Arm2A is the "Boolean Combine" missing the thread information but showing the holes. Also if the section view is generated in the Swing Arm2A screen, the section view shows the tread representation.

I load the Swing Arm2 part - select Boolean Combine - select and insert the Flange part - use precision placement to correctly locate the Flange to the Swing Arm2 - then execute (click the check mark) to complete the Boolean command - and get the swing Arm2 Part.

Attachments

• Flange.AD_PRT
    351 KB · Views: 0
  • Swing Arm2.AD_PRT
    333 KB · Views: 0
  • Swing Arm2A.AD_PRT
    430 KB · Views: 0