What's new

Disassociated dimensions after re-projecting

This problem has been around for years and years, but remember in V23 SP1 when they fixed this and we never had problems with it again? Yeah, me either.

V23 SP1​

June 24, 2021
  • Dimensions in 2D Section Views sometimes get displaced/disassociated after re-projection

Has anyone found a workflow methodology that actually fixes this bug? What about a special prayer you say before re-projecting? I'll try just about anything if it means I don't have to re-dimension a print again.

Thanks!

Reactions: vec

albie0803

Alibre Super User
It happens when changes are made to the model and the faces and edges get renumbered. Section views just can't handle this. Unfortunately!

maple

Faces and edges renumbering moves and destroys the fillets, moves sketches to not existent planes and makes the designer angry :(((((((((
Alibre, please fix this!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
So a little background on this thing. When you see this issue, it's caused by either:

1) Unavoidable consequences of the nature of making model changes. If you know how, it is easy to make this happen - create a chamfer dimension and then reproject after deleting the chamfer, for example. The dimension has no target.

2) Various, geometry specific bugs

We can address 2) effectively but addressing 1) is much more complicated, and often impossible - like asking an apple to not be an apple.

The question then becomes is your issue due to 1) or 2)? No idea - we would have to look at it. Almost always, when we get test cases, it's a 1) issue. But sometimes, it's a 2) issue - and those are very valuable. It's not a case of "just go look at the code and make sure it works" - it's more like "make sure this type of special case works". And we don't have an exhaustive list of special cases. That's why they're special.

So, every time you see this issue on a model, send everything to Support - we can classify the issue and if it's a 2) it's always a high priority.

This problem has been around for years and years, but remember in V23 SP1 when they fixed this and we never had problems with it again?

The SP wording should have been more precise in nature. We did address some really good bugfixes that covered a lot of special cases, but obviously there are more.

So a little background on this thing. When you see this issue, it's caused by either:

1) Unavoidable consequences of the nature of making model changes. If you know how, it is easy to make this happen - create a chamfer dimension and then reproject after deleting the chamfer, for example. The dimension has no target.

2) Various, geometry specific bugs

We can address 2) effectively but addressing 1) is much more complicated, and often impossible - like asking an apple to not be an apple.

The question then becomes is your issue due to 1) or 2)? No idea - we would have to look at it. Almost always, when we get test cases, it's a 1) issue. But sometimes, it's a 2) issue - and those are very valuable. It's not a case of "just go look at the code and make sure it works" - it's more like "make sure this type of special case works". And we don't have an exhaustive list of special cases. That's why they're special.

So, every time you see this issue on a model, send everything to Support - we can classify the issue and if it's a 2) it's always a high priority.

The SP wording should have been more precise in nature. We did address some really good bugfixes that covered a lot of special cases, but obviously there are more.

Thanks for the reply Max. When I have issues I'll send them to support so we can determine if this in a 1) or a 2) issue. Almost all of my parts are round with custom threads, so I wonder if having the threads cut into the model is the culprit.