What's new

Display Error

fiddler

Just installed Alibre V12.1
When stating I get a "Alibre Design Display Error" with the following code:
(0xc0000005) Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0000005

and when I click OK on the fault box, a new part screen screen apaers but I cannot draw anything as the is no drawing area.

Any ideas ?

Running Linux with a Virtual Box with Win XP on 64bit machine
Under options, Display the Graphics are set to Virtualbox Graphics Adapter.
Is this adapter Ok ?

Cheers

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi fiddler,

Please take a look:

Alibre Design System Requirements
https://www.alibre.com/assets/systemrequirements.pdf

Supported Operating Systems: 32 bit and 64 bit
- Windows XP -> Pro / Home
- Windows Vista -> Basic, Home, Business, Ultimate
- Windows 7 -> Basic, Home, Business, Ultimate
(Windows 7 requires Alibre Design V12. or higher)

Software Requirements:
- IE V6 or higher
- .NET 2.0 Framework
- J# Redistributable
- Microsoft Direct X 9.0c

All other attempts (Running Linux with a Virtual Box) to use/install Alibre Design, are experiments, without support.

A

Anonymous

I have to agree with Ralf this could be difficult to get running but if you would like to attempt it go ahead. The error you are receiving indicated a direct X failure. Usually we resolve this with a new graphics driver or you can try turning off advanced 2D rendering in the Alibre home window --> tools --> options --> display.
Good Luck
Mark
Alibre Support Manager

fiddler

I have had a good look at it and it appears that Virtualbox is not too good at DiretX and direct video card access.
VMware appear to be a better virtualisation tool for 3D applications.

Shame really because among other things, Linux loads very quickly and windows runs faster under Virtualbox, including Alibre loads quite a bit faster in Windows when run in Virtualbox.

tgarson

Strictly speaking, running Alibre in Windows XP through Virtualbox on a Linux system does meet the published requirements stated by Alibre. Dxdiag tests for DirectDraw and Direct3D 9 compliance are passed. However, Virtualbox provides no support for earlier versions of Directx (tests for DX8 and DX7 conformity fail).

So, if Alibre programmers were to clean up the code to eliminate calls to obsolete DirectX functions, maybe it would work. I can't see how that would not help Alibres marketability in a way that should not threaten the buddy-buddy relationship with Microsoft. After all, Windows would still be required in order to run Alibre.

Jens A.

I do have the exact same problem with a brand new HP i5 - running windows 7 pro 32bit with NWidia display card. Installed it Friday, and the (0xc0000005) Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0000005 message comes up with gray display

My HP notebook tablet does not have the same problems neither under XP or Vista. There it happens on assemblies but not on subassemblies.

Jens A.

Thanks David,
Obviously neither windows update or HP update covers the installed components
Much Better

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Graphics chip makers will usually publish drivers some time before they are available from PC/card makers or Microsoft. Except where heavily customised drivers are used, it's usually better to check with chip maker (nVidia, AMD, Intel).

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Jens,

In addition to the proposal of David, in relation to graphics drivers,
please try also to "update" your DirectX 9.0c.

To check this, please use your Internet Explorer!
- Download and install the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer
Important!
- The first file: dxwebsetup.exe (286 KB) is a tool that check your existing version and then starts the process of automatic updating.
A little patience is required for this process. :wink:

Here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... 6652cd92a3

(During the installation, uncheck the "Bing Bar" thingy. :roll: )