What's new

Display of Shelled Model

kcoffield

Hopefully this is a simple one for you experienced fellas. After I shelled the solid in the first picture, it displays as transparent instead of a solid grey model with a 1/4" wall, and it displays all construction lines inside and out. I went to the view tab in the shelled picture, and you can see the selections. I'll be darned if I can figure out what I did to cause it to display that way. I've used the shell command many times and they always displayed normally. I'd like to proceed to fillet and finish it up but what a mess. Anyone ever seen this before?

The AD file includes the shell. Excuse the mess as it's still very much a work in process.

Best,
Kelly

Solid B302.jpgShelled B302.jpg

Attachments

• Boss 302 Spider Upper Exterior Forum.AD_PRT
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
This looks like a display driver/setting issue. I'd give this to Support for them to figure out. With the new display settings it may take some noodling to see what's going on with it.

kcoffield

This looks like a display driver/setting issue. I'd give this to Support for them to figure out. With the new display settings it may take some noodling to see what's going on with it.
After messing with it for a while, I opened up a new window and shelled some simple geometry and they all appeared to function and display normally so I assumed it was something I had inadvertently done in the attached file.

Best,
Kelly

Ex Machina

Hey Kelly, as Harold said this is a driver issue. If you look at the second pic, even the View Cube is see-through.

So, it's definitely a driver/graphics engine issue. Maybe support can have a look at this if you also send them the GPU model and driver version.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Took a while to track this down,

The issue was with the paths for the 2 sweeps early in the design - these led to failed edges (revealed by running check part just ahead of the shell feature). Making the curvature in the paths a little gentler by moving intermediate spline points restored normal service.

Boss 302 Spider Upper Exterior Forum.jpg

kcoffield

Took a while to track this down,

The issue was with the paths for the 2 sweeps early in the design - these led to failed edges (revealed by running check part just ahead of the shell feature). Making the curvature in the paths a little gentler by moving intermediate spline points restored normal service.

Thanks very much for taking the time to do that David.

I think I've I learned something very valuble here. I haven't been using "check part" but found it on the inspect menue. Now I just need to get better at understanding what it's telling me and how to fix the errors :)

I looked at the docmentation and gather check part is sort of the 3D object analog to analyze for examining a sketch. When I select it on the file I posted, I do see the 7 failed edges and 3 failed vertices. I see I can highlight and identify the location of the failed features on the model and save the report. In this case, it displays the same regardless of location in the DE history since the sweeps are the first geometry created, but if they were not, I presume I could just keep moving up the DE history to find offending features.

So two questions:

1. An object can have failed features/errors but still not display as failed in the DE? Is that (apparently) correct?
2. If a part has failed features, it may or may not still allow the end model to successfully generate depending on nature of erros and end model? In this case, the solid seems to generate ok, but even though the inner shell surface seems to generate, the shell causes the display error.
3. The runner fillets on my model were nut fully/correctly formed. It appears they are in your model. Did that happen with the spline changes or can the locations where the fillets merge can be independently changed. Your contrcution lines/fillet merges appear to be in different locations than my original model. How did you do that?

Probably more than you want to know but, I started this version of the model to see if I could make a parametric model that allowed me to easily how the runner cross sectional area increased along the guide curves. At one point I had the splines/guide curve sketches fully defined but I removed the constraints and had been moving the spline points around on the sweep guide curves to achieve design objectives or prevent other feature failures and that indeed is when the transparency problem showed up.

I've made it quite difficult on myself with the shape of the center plenum and all the other design requirements. Meeting all the design objectives/requirements while keeping the modeling functins in balance without failures is barely possible with the physical size and proximity of the various features. I have several other versions of this model. One uses 3D guide curve controlled lofts to generate the runner tubes but I can never keep the lateral surfaces of the runners parallel (which makes machining the result model more pratical) to the Z-axis with that method.

Surprisingly, with all the power and design freedom available in the sweep and loft functions, the only way I seem to be able to meet all of the design objectives is with a simple set of extrusions and cuts from 2D sketches. However, one of the required sketches is very complex and not easily changed, but I think this tends work better because instead of being construction mish-mash of solid shapes stuck together it creates the solid geometry with fewer object and tends to flow and grow more consistently with the shape of the runner tubes. That makes less complex solid geometry for shell and finsihing fillet functions. I say surprisingly because that method seems to be the least sophisticated modeling technique, but I guess less sophisticated also means less geometrically complex in this case. If I get better with using equation driven shapes, I may eventually have a more adaptable model with this method.

-Still learning!

Best,
Kelly

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I initially tried a few different things before zeroing in on the paths for the sweeps. My suspicion was originally aroused by the 'staggered' nature of the fillet faces on the runners - that is unusual.

After 'easing' the sweep paths - the resulting fillets looked a lot nicer, and the shell was faster to process and gave the expected visual appearance. File herewith, I've removed any other things I tried when investigating - so just moved the 2 non end points in each of the path curves.

Attachments

• Boss 302 Spider Upper Exterior Forum.AD_PRT
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

kcoffield

Thanks David.

So on my Q1& Q2 above, since an object's status can still display as normal in DE with feature errors, as a matter of good practice, should I be using check part after each additional object in a model is created and remedy any errors if present? -Similar to using analyze on each completed sketch which can show as fully defined yet still have degenerative features.

Best,
Kelly

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
That's probably 'over the top'. In this case your combinations of features led to something that the shell command was struggling with, due to sharper than desirable curvature places in your sweep paths.

Check part is more commonly used to check imported parts where it's proving problematic to add downstream features. Using it in a natively modelled part is unusual - but in this case I was trying to get any feel for what may be the issue. It didn't directly tell me about the path curves, but it did identify edges between plenum and runners as problematic.