What's new

Do we have an issue with an old ACIS version?

JST

Alibre Super User
Many complaints have been made about LOFT, and FILLET, and SHELL, and some other features that do not seem to work reliably nor predictably.

The assertion has been made that the ACIS version used in 2015, and presumably still used in 2017, is an older version. I made that assertion based on info I probably got here on the forum some time ago, combined with info from the ACIS site.

Could these issues be related to ACIS issues?

I ask, because the MOST COMMON errors I get when using Alibre/GMD are apparently ACIS errors. At least that is what the error messages say.

Now, I realize that an ACIS error might be triggered by data presented wrongly TO the kernel. It may be wrong to blame the kernel for all the errors, regardless of what the messages say.

That's basically why I am asking. It's possible that the license for ACIS includes regular updates and that the current version of Alibre is actually up to date.

If not, is there any plan to use a newer version of ACIS? Might we expect that to help?

Problem is that we see other programs that do not have the issues that appear in Alibre. Things that do not work in Alibre are not an issue in other programs (not all of which use ACIS). There is a long thread on issues with LOFT that is currently active,for instance, with comparison to a program (Onshape) that apparently uses Parasolid.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Quote from Max (14th September 2017).

" Major component updates, for example ACIS, will come in the release following this release, which is scheduled in just a few months. More details will come for the second release in the next month or two. "

cdub

Do we have reason to believe this will resolve this issues myself and others have experienced?
Will these updates makes the Loft and Shell commands first class citizens?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Do we have reason to believe this will resolve this issues myself and others have experienced?

Quote from Max (14th September 2017).

" Major component updates, for example ACIS, will come in the release following this release, which is scheduled in just a few months. More details will come for the second release in the next month or two. "

JST

Alibre Super User

Updating the ACIS may or may NOT make things better.

Hence the question (which is legitimate, and unanswered:

"Many complaints have been made about LOFT, and FILLET, and SHELL, and some other features that do not seem to work reliably nor predictably.
Could these issues be related to ACIS issues?"

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Updating the ACIS may or may NOT make things better.

Hence the question (which is legitimate, and unanswered:

"Many complaints have been made about LOFT, and FILLET, and SHELL, and some other features that do not seem to work reliably nor predictably.
Could these issues be related to ACIS issues?"
And don't forget the missing surfaces issue... a biggie hugie!

JST

Alibre Super User
And don't forget the missing surfaces issue... a biggie hugie!

If the new ACIS fixes stuff, the tide should lift all boats, including that one.

Now the question...... Will the new version be out before my renewal date (end of march, IIRC)?