What's new

Does Alibre employ more than 125 people?

PTC is headquartered in Massachusetts. Why would they be setting up a 125-person product development center in Pennsylvania? Doesn't that sound like over-kill? At any rate, it smacks of the inefficiencies of a large corporation.

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

I wonder what proportion of work at PTC is "outsourced" to india and other places outside the USA - and how many of these USA jobs will stay in that state...
If you are used to Alibre, you would not beleive how massive PTC is, even now it shed many thousands of jobs (or at least moved them to cheaper countries!) in recent years.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

With a last year profit of $83 million, I wouldn't have thought that a $0.6 million grant would be a huge factor in where they "expand" to....

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

esingleton said:
$0.00 or $600,000.00?

That would factor into anybody's decision.

I did say "huge" :) I was being ironic but - it's still 0.7% of their profit, so, all other things being equal, you're probably right..

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Stable SW.

Mr. "Alibre"
This is a supplement to yesterdays mail from me to support, where I recommended you to used your resources to remove the fatal bucks in the SW, instead of making new "cosmetic" or "nice to have" features as asked for out in the community.
The best for you is that the already implemented features and the kernel work stable.
I have attached a couple of months windows log file regarding Alibre. Nearly every incident means lost design, this is very frustrating and get me thinking back were I was PRO/Engineer user.
I was mechanical design manager with 36 seats, half in Denmark the rest in Germany.
We never had such troubles.
You can say the price is different, yes but the code you write must be stable, this is simple "craftsmanship". Do it right first time.
A lot of all that "noise" in the Alibre design user groups can be avoided.
The space can better be used to guide all the newcomers in how to do.
I have got the impression that Alibre users mostly is new in CAD design tools.

Kind regards Oldbelt

volker

Oldbelt,
you are a lucky guy !
Working with Pro/E without losing design ?
I am working with Pro/e for maybe 8 years.
What i learned is saving my design as often as i can.
As soon as i forgot this lesson in the past, i lost hours.
I think, PTC managed to get better and better until now.
But how long have they been working on it.
I think you should give Alibre the chance to have problems fixed in the same time, lets say there are a few years left !

Volker

caduser1

Back on topic...
Alibre has 35 people.
This is what I was told at the Carlsbad training seminar
I attended a week ago.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

caduser1 said:
Back on topic...
Alibre has 35 people.
This is what I was told at the Carlsbad training seminar
I attended a week ago.

That, my friend, is incredible. :!: :shock:

Talk about David and Goliath 8)

mrehmus

Re: Stable SW.

Oldbelt said:
Mr. "Alibre"
This is a supplement to yesterdays mail from me to support, where I recommended you to used your resources to remove the fatal bucks in the SW, instead of making new "cosmetic" or "nice to have" features as asked for out in the community.
The best for you is that the already implemented features and the kernel work stable.
Kind regards Oldbelt

I certainly don't make my living every day in Alibre, I use it to draw plans for my magazine. The plans, other than slowing way down (memory leak) during construction of 2D drawings, are about the only real complaints I have against Alibre software.

However, I don't find Alibre crashing very often at all. Maybe 5-6 times in a year's ownership. I do have a very stable computer that was and still is used for video editing, the most difficult (system stress) work one can do on a personal computer. The only change I made to my system when I purchased AD was to upgrade the display driver.

I do wish it had crash recovery for those rare instances when it does crash. Something like the automatic recovery tools in Adobe CS2 would be nice. But then Adobe needs it far more often than AD.

The system is an Asus P4C800E with a 3.2 Gigahertz processor, 2 gigabytes of memory, about 1.5 terabytes of hard disks and an older ATI Radeon 9600 display card driving 2 LCD displays. The gigabyte lan and all the USB ports are used. Win XP Pro SP1. Novell SAN

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

caduser1 said:
Back on topic...

Well, we did not stay back on topic very long.

I still think it is amazing that with 35 employees, Alibre has such a product. I wonder how much of the development is outsourced.

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User

mrehmus
Now you are the lucky guy, I have had 12 crash from 8 to 12 marts 2006
all reported as incidents to support. (with the logfile).
Since then I have had severals.

:eek: I had to admit Alibre has made a fine product with very few people,
if the gossips about 125/35 is true.

Still make it right first time. :!:

regards Oldbelt.

Mibe

Alibre Super User

So many crashes makes me wonder if it's not a hardware error or application conflict of some sort?

What kind of errors is it and when do they appear?

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User

Hi Mibe
Right vertical toolbar >
Using B-spline tool (moving control points) in model sketching, the cursor freeze, the screen turns black, after a moment the sketch comes back and
the cursor move a little.
Every little mouse move turns the screen black.
One are not able to draw anything.
The only way out is taskmanager <end task>!!
The same is seen more seldom using the line,dim and the other tools.
In this situation the screen goes black, but recover again and it is possible to continue the sketching.
I have lived with this, hoping it was solved with 9.0 and SP1,
(the 12 crashes is with 9.0 and SP1 only).
Now I had a design where I needed a loot of B-spline curves.

Do you have any ideas :idea:

regards Oldbelt.

Mibe

Alibre Super User

I have never experienced that behavior and I have used Alibre since 2003... Of course it may crash once in a while, but tell me a software that does'nt!

It sounds like a driver issue or something similar. What graphic card are you using? Have you tried the same drawing routine on another computer? Have you tried to switch to 16-bit resolution in Windows?

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User

Hi Mibe
Question to the Danish reseller before I have my last PC build in october 2005:
Hej Nikolaj.
(Hi Nikolaj)
Vil du bistå i afklaring om disse komponenter vil give problemer for kørsel eksekvering af Alibre design SW.
(Please investigate about those components will give any problems with ALIBRE design SW.)
Cpu : AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2GHz.
Graphic card : Asus N6600/TD with nVideo GEforce 6600 processor onboard.

på forhånd tak
(Thanks in advance)
mvh. Bent
Hi Nikolaj,
That hardware should be fine as long as he also has ~ 512 MB to 1 Gig of RAM.
Best regards,
Scott

I do have 1 Gb RAM.

Yes I have tryed at another PC, the old one, but it isn't opdated to latest
version. I had also troubles but of other kind. Secondly I can't by hart
remember the type of graphic card.
16 bit in windows ?. Do you mean color deepth?.

regards Oldbelt.
Thank you for using your time. :)

Make it right the first time doesn't mean it's going to be perfect! There are too many variables involved--capabilities of hardware, conflicts with other software, and also aptitude of the user. I've never driven in a perfect car,
lived in a perfect house, had a perfect job, never had a perfect anything--perfection doesn't exist. Alibre is not perfect either and will never be.

indesign

Alibre Super User

I was once told if a program is perfect then it must be ran on a perfect system and never changed, updated or added to.

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User

Hi Mibe
Thank you for the advice, 16 bit instead of 32 bit cured the ilness.
I have tryed it out with a couple of rotated splines forming something like bottles.
Not a single hangup. :D

It is true that a SW running whitout failures
(that does not mean it is perfect, perfection is not measurable and then not a target)
should never be opened and recompiled

regards Oldbelt.