What's new

Does Alibre employ more than 125 people?

Mibe

Alibre Super User

Great that it works with 16-bit colors!

That solution also indicates that it's something wrong with your drivers or graphic hardware, normally the 16-bit cure is something that's needed on older laptops, not a modern full size PC!

/ Michael

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re:

caduser1 said:
Back on topic...
Alibre has 35 people.
This is what I was told at the Carlsbad training seminar
I attended a week ago.

1) I wonder how many of those 35 people are called "Scott Erickson". He seems to be every where :D (Cheers Scott!)

2) The offtopic part was worth it to get another user rolling and to see Mibe in action again 8)

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

caduser1 said:
Back on topic...
Alibre has 35 people.
This is what I was told at the Carlsbad training seminar
I attended a week ago.

I am sorry, I just want to get this back on topic.

Is anyone else absolutely astonished by this as much as I am?

I am very proud to be associated with Alibre. If there are really only 35 (fantastic) peolple at Alibre, I am amazed.

How can the support be this good :?:

danbrinkman89

35 people

I think 35 is credible b/c not too often do you see CEOs or Presidents emailing their customers and posting on their own forums. Cheers to Greg and the gang.

mrehmus

The issue REALLY isn't if they have 35 people or not but how many people are in development and support.

If you figure 4 execs, pres & CEO, CFO, VP Marketing/Sales & VP Engineering, + 2-3 finance people + 3-4 support people + 1-2 production people + 4 marketing/sales & Probably 1-3 secretaries/clerks. then you may be able to figure the number of people writing code. They might have sub-contractors who are not normally counted.

I'd guess they have 15-20 people in development. That is a lot of programming going on.

When AutoDesk started, there were 13 programmers working out of their homes. AutoCAD was just one of 3-4 products that were initially created and shown at Comdex. Only when they got the very strong message to drop the 'autodesk' products and focus on the CAD, did they turn all 13 people onto AutoCAD. John Walker, the president at the time, wrote code right along with the rest.

Alibre is written in a much higher level language than AutoCAD was. I'd guess the 15 to 20 programmers are quite adequate to put Alibre on a strong growth path.

What you don't want them to do is become fiscally unwise by loading up on a bunch of programmer head count and become at-risk, survival wise. We just want a constant step-wise progression on improvements.

Too many programmers can slow or stop progress until they become integrated into the Alibre environment and if you have many more than they have now, the management load becomes much heavier and you have to start adding infrastructure that doesn't really add to progress in the product.

caduser1

A few more tidbits I picked up at the training seminar...

Alibre spent 4 years developing software before they
ever released anything to the public.

Currently they are making a big change from the java
runtime environment to the microsoft .NET environment
because they feel that is where the future lies.

Most of their employees are programmers.

They know about the user's concerns... They mentioned they
are working on the memory leak and improving the 2D (drawing)
software. They are removing the WYSIWYG part they introduced in
9.0. I guess users didn't like it. Maybe it went away in SP1. Not sure.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

My quick calculation (guess) would be that Alibre is profitable with a user base of approximately 10,000 or more.

I am pretty sure that I have read that Alibre outsources some development to a low cost country (India). But, I don't know for sure.

java runtime vs. .Net: Someone can start a new thread on on this topic (I don't know but would like to know the meaning).

I think that some of the memory leak behaviour has improved with SP1 (it least it seems to be better). I know that WYSIWYG has been taken out with SP1.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

jwknecht said:
I think that some of the memory leak behaviour has improved with SP1 (it least it seems to be better).

I take this statement back.

The memory leak is still alive and well. Any improvement that I saw must have been because of WYSIWYG being taken out.

In opening and closing drawings and BOMs several times, the leak is apparent. The solution is to watch the task manager and every once in awhile close and restart the AD application.

siggy

Re:

Oldbelt said:
Using B-spline tool (moving control points) in model sketching, the cursor freeze, the screen turns black, after a moment the sketch comes back and
the cursor move a little.
Every little mouse move turns the screen black.

regards Oldbelt.

This is almost certainly a video card/driver issue. The fact that you can change the behavior by going from 32 to 16 bit color confirms this fact.

I had a similar problem with an ATI card (All-In-Wonder Radeon). The only difference from what you describe is that instead of the screen turning completely black I would get a black and white checkerboard pattern. I cured it by moving to a newer driver version.

Robert

If I remember correctly, the instructors at the Philadelphia training seminar told me that Alibre has 42 people and is currently interviewing a couple more programmers.

-Bernard