What's new

Does anybody have Alibre installed on a Linux OS with WINE?

cdub

Does anybody have Alibre installed on a Linux OS with WINE?

With Windoze Vista on the horizon I'd like to at least get line of site to getting completely away from MS before the end of the year. Currently I dual boot, and the only thing forcing me to keep my Windows installation is Alibre.

Has anyone out there tried this, or even succeeded in installing Alibre with WINE?

cdub

A

Anonymous

There are Linux Options

I know your frustration. I have put up several postings about Alibre being offered in either a Linux version or a cross-platform one(which can run on any operating system.) Besides WINE, there are other ways to can fudge an install of Windows software. CrossoverOffice allows you to run many programs, there are emulators(like Win4Lin), and there are virtualization programs(like VMware.)

Right now the office here uses Windows, but I keep hammering the IT staff about the benefits of Linux. I use Linux exclusively at home. Many governmental agencies, corporations, and colleges are switching at least some desktops.

I hope that software vendors realize the advantages of expanding their horizons now, rather than waiting. Years ago, they said the phone was useless, so look at how far we have come. Let’s prove the skeptics wrong.
:D

cdub

What wouild it take?

I'm a relative noob to Linux, although I'm on my 2nd distribution, and thinking about changing again, over to the new version of SUSE. The reason I went with PCLinuxOS was that they had specific versions for different graphics cards, so it was able to support my ATI card without any trouble.

I thought Crossover Office was just an "Office" program, not a general purpose Win on Linux program. Is this not the case?

I managed to install WINE, but am a bit confused on how to use it. I've looked at the help, and the website, but I don't seem to be finding any kind of general purpose guide (this is most probably operator error).

From what I've seen, many people use WINE to get Windows computer games working on their Liinux installs. If this is the case, it should do pretty good with Alibre, as it's design for gaming graphics cards, directx, etc.

In theory then, should I be able to do this with WINE?

A

Anonymous

Possibly More Answers

Well, I will tell you what I know, so hopefully that will point you in the right direction. I do NOT use trickery at home, as I run native Linux software, as that works the best.

Crossover Office is NOT just an office suite. It allows you to use Windows programs. They have a list of known ones, which are guaranteed to work. Others may work flawlessly, or may have some bugs. This you must purchase.

WINE also allows pretty much the same, but is free. I think you need to install the GUI(graphical frontend) to make it work better, without knowing lots of funny commands. I believe the base package is command line only.

The best advice I can give is to read Tux Magazine. It is an online PDF mag for newbies, but all people pick up stuff. Very good read. http://www.tuxmagazine.com
They have free issues. There was one in September 2006(I think), which dealt exclusively with getting Windows games to work in Linux. Much of that is applicable here, for what you want, as it is the same concept. Try to grab this and check it out. I sent it to a gamer and he really found it useful, but I have since deleted my copy(computer cleaning!)

I have heard about your distro, but it seems like Linspire and Xandros are committed to newcomers. I personally use Ubuntu and think it’s the best thing since sliced bread!

As far as graphics, if you wish to get the full effect, you need to install the proprietary drivers, from companies like ATI. There are packages like fglrx for this. This gives you the optimal resolution the card will give. I just use the open source drivers, as I found they cause less trouble. Whatever the install autodetects is fine with me.

As I said, there are also emulators, like Win4Lin(simulates a Windows box) and virtual machines, like VMware(these basically simulate a Windows box, but are different.) These have their place and allow for running programs.

There is plenty of info and help out there, but you need to tinker. If you are afraid of messing something up, try to get an old computer to play with. People give them away. You can also use a Live CD, so as not to mess up a hard drive(but they’re slow!)

I like http://www.linux.com also. This keep up with current stuff. These various forums for distros are also good, as you can post questions. Many times a person may have a similar issue.

The best thing is to demand Linux support! I can't stress that enough. Don't just accept the status quo! Be vocal!

Good luck.

cdub

attemps with wine

well, I've got wine installed, and I've tried installing alibre with it.

So far not much luck. The Alibre installer does begin to run, but then there are errors, and it hangs.

I've tried to get Alibre added to the AppDB on http://www.winehq, but the rejected my initial request. If anyone else in the user forum is interested, you can sign up (free) and put in requests to get someone looking at Alibre here:

http://appdb.winehq.org/

I am downloading the evaluation version o Crossover office now, and will give that a try.

Have fun,
cdub

steveastro

Re: attemps with wine

cdub said:
So far not much luck. The Alibre installer does begin to run, but then there are errors, and it hangs.
My guess is that the M$ JavaVM screws it all up.

Steve